What atmosphere can I create with Kino Flos?

Hi everybody

To clarify my older post.

I am trying to light a room that is 30ft long 16ft wide and 15 ft tall with three 4 bank kino's.

The room is wood and will be dark, except for some minimal house lights, 5x 30 watts halogens on the ceiling.Which I can change the bulbs to 150watts if need be.

I want to create a slightly underexposed background ambience, where details
are visible. But the room is NOT fully lit. Similair to this reference photo:
Ignore the color cast please.

I want to use the three Kino 4 Banks to light the background only, but
I wouldn't mind some of that background light spilling on the sides of the actors, such as in the photo.

Hope this makes sense.

Mike

post-63026-0-61896200-1381249924_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

You'd basically have to rig them parallel to the long direction every six feet -- assuming these are 4' 4-bank Kinos -- so after 6', you hang the first one, then there's another 6' gap, then you hang the next Kino, etc. If you have enough exposure, since you want a dim ambience, you could cover the outside of the Kino doors with diffusion like 216.

You'd probably still want a couple more Kinos on stands for lighting people in their closer shots.

Hi David,

Thank's for your reply.

Yes, these are 4' 4 bank kinos. Thank's for the rigging advice.

So i will rig the Kino's on one wall, and film our shots across on the other wall and middle of room say 10 ft away.

And diffuse as needed. I have some Lee 250 half white diffusion and 420 light opal frost.

I was concerned about the Kino light fall off. At 6ft they produce 84fc or 775lux, but I have no idea what that will look like.

I will do a test but not under exact conditions.

For the close ups of the actors I plan to light them more dramatically. With a 1k tungtsen fresnel and fill with a 650 watt tungsten fresnel with diffusion 250 doubled.

similar to this photo, but with longer shadows that are filled in more.

http://mimg.ugo.com/200805/23238/cuts/romper-stomper_480x480.jpg

I hope to use above set up for groups of three or four, but flood the fresnels more? I do have access to a couple 750 plus open faced fresnels...

Thank's again David, your time and input are much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike