ORWO NA and 16mm B&W stocks

Has anyone successfully ordered film from ORWO NA recently? I placed an order for 3 100' rolls of N74 back in August and still have not received anything.

I am looking for a faster B&W stock than Kodak 7222 for shooting night scenes, but there doesn't seem to be anything else out there. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Patrick

There's always the option to shoot 7219 and turn the saturation off in post. That's what they did for "The Artist".

Using color film and dropping the color in post, I mean. I don't know if they used 500t.

My understanding about ORWO is that they only get in film sporadically, sell out each shipment, then wait for the next one.

Thanks for the explanation about ORWO. I suggested to the ORWO rep that, if they did not have film in stock, the rep should inform customers as to the length of the delay, but he took umbrage at the notion. I will see if I can get my money back.

Thanks also for the suggestion about shooting in color. I know they did this for Control and some other recent B&W movies but I was hoping to be able to shoot directly on B&W. However, since it's all going to be edited digitally anyway and a 16mm negative would never be cut, maybe 500T is the way to go.

If it helps, my current project is being shot on 7222. Our solution was to just add more light.

If you want outdoor scenes, you could always do what Kurosawa did. Wait for cloudless days then shoot during the day with a red filter in front of the lens (the B&W version of day-for-night).

I'm trying to use as few lights as possible, but more light plus some super speed lenses might be the best solution. I did a test recently with a red filter on a sunny day, and while it created more contrast, it did not look like night, but maybe I should try it with less daylight.