avid 5 to after effects 5 workflow

Heidi Strand

• Premium Member

It depends on what you're doing, but this sort of thing can be fraught with difficulty. If you're using anything more than the most basic cuts-only editing, without complex (or often any) use of filters, the likelihood of making this work acceptably is probably very remote.

That said I haven't had any recent experience doing it with Avid - but obviously there's a lot of things that After Effects knows how to do that Avid doesn't.

You don't give very much information about what you're trying to achieve. If you're simply producing animations and stings in AE and need them on your Avid timeline, as would be a common situation, you'd normally just render out of AE into a suitable codec and container format, and import that file into Avid.

P

I`m planning to do basic cuts-only in avid and color correction and effects in AE, no animasion. What I`m trying to achieve is to save time... before I exported sequenses in full resolution from avid (this could take hours) and when finished in AE exported them back (this could take half a day). But I know there is a simpler and fast way that should only take a secound or two, just don`t know how to do them :-)

• 2 weeks later...

How long is the cut you're trying to import into AE? IS it a commercial? Music video? Short film? Feature?

Is it an amateur venture? A semi-professional one? A full-on professional one?

Your best bet, if your drives can afford it, is to export the file as a Targa sequence, without any compression whatsoever. You'll end up with several Gbs of data, sure, but in a few seconds your export will be done, and you can then import the whole thing as a sequence into AE, add your effects and colour correction, then export it as a Targa - again- and import it into Avid for the final export.

If you use this format, all the exports and imports will be done in less than a minute (unless you're dealing with a short that's longer than 15 minutes, or a feature of course) both from Avid into AE and vice-versa.

You'd better make sure your cut is final before you first export it though.