Dedolight 650w versus Arri 650w Fresnel?

• Premium Member

Hey guys,

I'm planning out some fairly extensive additions to my lighting kit and I'd be keen to hear people's thoughts on the Dedolight 650w units if anyone's used them?

I love, and I mean LOVE, the little 150w Dedos. They'll undoubtably be a part of my new kit. But I'm interested to hear how the 650w units compare to a more traditional 650w Fresnel, particularly in terms of spill control and light output (i.e. are the 650w units just the same as the 150w units with 4x the output?).

I'm spending extra to build a lighting kit filled with fixtures that are as controllable as possible in order to allow me to set-up, pack-down and light faster. So if the 650w Dedos can save me from having to rig up an extra flag here and there (compared to a fresnel), then that's what I'd want to get.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

• Premium Member

Hey guys,

I'm planning out some fairly extensive additions to my lighting kit and I'd be keen to hear people's thoughts on the Dedolight 650w units if anyone's used them?

I love, and I mean LOVE, the little 150w Dedos. They'll undoubtably be a part of my new kit. But I'm interested to hear how the 650w units compare to a more traditional 650w Fresnel, particularly in terms of spill control and light output (i.e. are the 650w units just the same as the 150w units with 4x the output?).

I'm spending extra to build a lighting kit filled with fixtures that are as controllable as possible in order to allow me to set-up, pack-down and light faster. So if the 650w Dedos can save me from having to rig up an extra flag here and there (compared to a fresnel), then that's what I'd want to get.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

The Dedo 650's are way brighter than a normal 650, also have a far greater zoom on the beam. Really nice lights to use, you should try before you buy like any equipment.

I haven't used Dedo 650w and I am quite inexperienced so take my word with caution. ;p
Fresnels are not too hard to control with barndoors only and/or blackwrap. Unless you are in extremely tight space with white walls.

However once you try to make the light softer (increase the size of the light source) by i.e clipping a gel,or putting up a 4x4 frame,barndoors no longer control the spill, as the gel or frame becomes the new light source so you have to use much larger flags.

So it depends what are you going for

• 1 month later...