Freelance Living Wage

OI!!

Tim said "No Politics"!

Keith, this entire thread has been political, all 23 pages of it.

If Maxim is seriously suggesting that Communism is the answer to evils of capitalism, I think he should explain why it is that Communist states fail time and time again, and the ones that do survive , like China, are certainly not models of fairness or equality.

OI!!

Tim said "No Politics"!

Oh this is nothing Keith. You should see some of the threads on here where someone brought up, "women in film" or "minorities in film." It doesn't take long for the shouting to start on those threads, and its usually only 10-12 posts in before someone accuses another forum member of being a member of the KKK or something like that. This one has been civil by comparison. :D

R,

Communism is an idea of society where human beings will be liberated. To do this a country needs to be advance industrially, with a population that has an understanding and history of democracy and is not surrounded by enemy powers wanting to destroy it.

Marxist ideas are very attractive for lots of intellectuals who want to better their countries, quite often in impossible conditions of war, economic blockade and faced with backward ideas of religion, racism and ethnic hatred.

Cuba has had success and failure, good health service and having a better health service than the US is a great success. China has managed to expel foreign exploiters..

It took several centuries for capitalism to replace feudalism, it will take time to replace capitalism, but capitalism does not look like it wants to survive much longer as it is failing on so many fronts.

• Upvote 1

It took several centuries for capitalism to replace feudalism, it will take time to replace capitalism, but capitalism does not look like it wants to survive much longer as it is failing on so many fronts.

Um, just a helpful hint.....if you want to ever get hired to shoot any American productions, I would suggest you not mention your pro-communist leanings. Might not go over too well in the interview, if ya get my drift.

R,

• Premium Member

Um, just a helpful hint.....if you want to ever get hired to shoot any American productions, I would suggest you not mention your pro-communist leanings. Might not go over too well in the interview, if ya get my drift.

R,

This is such a brilliant thread I would pin it if it was in the General forum where I have mod privileges. This really is the thread of 2013, very happy Max joined the forum

• Upvote 1

This is such a brilliant thread I would pin it if it was in the General forum where I have mod privileges. This really is the thread of 2013, very happy Max joined the forum

I agree! Max seems to be great at getting a good thread going I notice! :)

Christmas has come early it seems!

Freya

• Upvote 1

R,

Don't worry when I talk to Americans I say I believe in angels, that school children should be armed, and that KFC is healthy.

But really I am shocked to hear that in the land of the free you can fail to find work because of your opinions.

Don't worry when I talk to Americans I say I believe in angels, that school children should be armed, and that KFC is healthy.

Oh god you musn't tell anyone you believe in Engels that's a sure way to get blacklisted!

Freya

• Premium Member

No wonder you've never worked there...

And if I ever visit Poland, I'll be sure to mention what a great guy Joe Stalin was. I'll be able to eat out on that line all the time :rolleyes:

But really I am shocked to hear that in the land of the free you can fail to find work because of your opinions.

No, no, no, no no!

If there is one phrase that has been stretched and mutilated beyond all recognition, it is "The right to Free Speech"!

All that means is that neither the government nor any individual has any right to "pre-emptively" prevent a person from expressing an opinion.

It absolutely does NOT mean that you can say what you like with no fear of retribution or punishment.

In other words, nobody can legally take actual physical steps to prevent you from saying something, but that doesn't mean that there won't be a cop standing there to arrest you once you've said it! In most democracies the government can't simply shut down a newspaper or whatever simply because they haven't liked the opinions of the people who write for it, but they can still prosecute them "after the fact" if they print something the government has declared illegal. ("Hate Speech" is a common example).

The other thing that is routinely glossed over by the average Land Rights for Gay Whales looney, is that people who claim they were arrested for asserting their "Right to Free Speech" were almost invariably committing some crime while in the process of doing so, and that is they were actually charged with. You are not allowed to use the "Free Speech" argument if you are charged with vandalizing someone's property with a spray can for example.

• Premium Member

Whatever happened to Jan von Krogh...?

He was the chewtoy's chewtoy :D

• Upvote 1

Producer: Thanks for coming in Maxim your reel is very impressive and we'd like to offer you the job of DOP, on this 150 million dollar film.

Maxim: Thank-you, but before I accept I just want to tell you something.

Producer: Oh what's that?

Maxim: A movie needs a producer like you need a chocolate tea pot.

Producer: Er...um, what?

Maxim: All of you producers are greedy scum bags that steal the work of the people and profit from their labour!

Producer: Well now wait a second....

Maxim: And another thing, you have no right to the profits from this movie, it belongs to the people who made it!

Producer: But the studio is paying for it all.

Maxim: You are a liar, a cheat, and a dirt bag! Ok now when do I start?

Producer: I think we'll give you a call next week with that information, thanks for coming in.

Communism is an idea of society where human beings will be liberated. To do this a country needs to be advance industrially, with a population that has an understanding and history of democracy and is not surrounded by enemy powers wanting to destroy it.

Marxist ideas are very attractive for lots of intellectuals who want to better their countries, quite often in impossible conditions of war, economic blockade and faced with backward ideas of religion, racism and ethnic hatred.

Cuba has had success and failure, good health service and having a better health service than the US is a great success. China has managed to expel foreign exploiters..

Maxim, once again you've failed to answer my question. That's okay though, sometimes a refusal to answer is just as eloquent....

• Premium Member

I think you need to tighten the dialogue up a bit, Richard

How about:

Producer (on phone): Hi Maxim; your reel is very impressive and we'd like to offer you the job of DOP on this 150 million dollar film. You want to come in and discuss it?

Maxim (Decidedly unenthusiastic): Hmph. OK, but as far as I'm concerned, a movie needs a producer like you need a chocolate tea pot You're all greedy scum bags who steal the work of the people and profit from their labour. You have no right to the profits from this movie, it belongs to the people who made it! You are a liar, a cheat, and a dirt bag!

But ... (sigh) OK ... when do I start?

(Beat)

Maxim: I said: 'When do I start?'

Hello...? Hello?! (stabs at keypad) Clack-clack-clack - Hello!!

(Throws the phone into the corner)

Maxim (muttering) Damned capitalist running dog monopolistic phone system has let me down again!

Alternative ending:

Producer (on phone): Hi Maxim; your reel is very impressive and we'd like to offer you the job of DOP on this 150 million dollar film. You want to come in and discuss it?

Maxim (Decidedly unenthusiastic): Hmph. OK, but as far as I'm concerned, a movie needs a producer like you need a chocolate tea pot You're all greedy scum bags that steal the work of the people and profit from their labour; you have no right to the profits from this movie, it belongs to the people who made it! You are a liar, a cheat, and a dirt bag!

But ... (sniff) OK ... when do I start?

(Beat)

Producer: Wow! Wow! I've never had anyone speak to me like that before! You wouldn't believe how painful it is to sit here day in-day out speaking to nothing but self-serving sycophantic ass-lickers trying desperately to say what they think I want to hear.

Look; forget the figure I mentioned before; we'll pay you double that, plus I'll donate all my profits to the Marxist charity of your choice. How does that sound. I'll just get-

(Insistent beeping noise in background)

Angry male voice, (anechoic recording to suggest being heard by someone half asleep) : Maxim! Turn that bloody alarm off and get up! You're going to be late again. Those burgers aren't going to flip themselves!

• Upvote 1

I will concede that is very good Keith. However, clearly you've never written to fill 90 mins of screen time. Under that scenario you employ the fine art of the "stretch." :lol:

R,

• Premium Member

I will concede that is very good Keith. However, clearly you've never written to fill 90 mins of screen time. Under that scenario you employ the fine are of the "stretch." :lol:

R,

Yes, widely used by Australian producers to turn basically a 30 minute sitcom episode into a "Special Event" 4-hour mini-series

What's wrong with just putting in a lot of gratuitous steamy sex scenes where nothing really happens? That's always popular, needs minimal scripting, and you don't need any special locations. Plus you have a closed set, so you can get rid of all your Bolshie layabouts for a few days B)

I don't know why you can't just get stock footage of that....

• Upvote 1

What do people here have against chocolate teapots anyway?

I'd love it if somebody gave me a chocolate teapot! I think that would be awesome and I'm very sure I could find a use for it that would be useful to me! :)

Is there an anti chocolate thing in these forums?

I note that the only time I nearly got banned from here was when I compared cameras to chocolate once.

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

• Premium Member

What do people here have against chocolate teapots anyway?

I'd love it if somebody gave me a chocolate teapot! I think that would be awesome and I'm very sure I could find a use for it that would be useful to me! :)

Is there an anti chocolate thing in these forums?

I note that the only time I nearly got banned from here was when I compared cameras to chocolate once.

Freya

Mmmmm... chocolate.....

I actually buy Belgian chocolate in 2.5kg blocks for cake decorating and er, making chocolates. They're only about $39 and they look damned impressive just sitting in your pantry...

Boutique chocolates have one of the highest markups for food items. The average choc has about half a teaspoon of chocolate which costs a couple of cents, even for the very best bulk chocolate you can buy. The rest of it just filling which is usually made out of condensed milk and cream, with a bit of flavouring, and that works out to less than the chocolate. And then you sell them for $4-5 each.....

Richard would be proud :D

What about a chocolate Epic? Or would that overheat and melt...?