Why chiaroscuro always related to film noir??

Naim Spark

The question is, chiaroscuro is the lighting tecnique and film noir is a genre, but why noir always use chiaroscuro in lightup their film?? why noir not use the other lighting technique?? what the differences between chiaroscuro and noir??

• Premium Member

Chiaroscuro just means "clear/dark" or "light/dark" and refers to the use of strong contrast with heavy use of shadows, what is often called "low-key lighting" in movies. It makes sense for a crime film. Film Noir stylistically comes out of German Expressionism, and the shadows represent a sort of psychological reality.

• Upvote 1

if i analyze

Chiaroscuro just means "clear/dark" or "light/dark" and refers to the use of strong contrast with heavy use of shadows, what is often called "low-key lighting" in movies. It makes sense for a crime film. Film Noir stylistically comes out of German Expressionism, and the shadows represent a sort of psychological reality.

tq sir, im understand that...so how come if i want to analyze chiaroscuro lighting in noir film?? i mean whats the problem statement should be, if i want to make thesis about chiaroscuro lighting in the noir film??what should i discuss??

Do you think noir would work with high key lighting?

High contrast,black and white film stock,long shadows walking on the walls, light rays slicing smoke, wet concrete reflecting neon

lights... It is so poetic!

Lighting creates mood, the same way romantic comedies are all full of light, glamorous and flat, rough

stories of megapolis underworld have to be dark and moody.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

You should read up on chiaroscuro in paintings, read up on German Expressionism, read up on the history of film noir, and then come to your own conclusions. How can we tell you want to write about?

At the most simple level, shadows create mystery by suggesting things are hidden -- actions, intentions, threats, etc.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...