Bolex 350 zoom stuck

Guilherme Panisson

• 2 weeks later...

So, due to the lack of instruction, I've dismantled the lens to try to see the problem, but, unfortunately, the zoom ring is attached to an internal mechanism, and it couldn't be removed.

I tried to open the body during a few minutes and couldn't find a proper way to do so. The body doesn't have screws! Maybe it is glued.

Lubrication is not the problem as I could observe internally. It happens that the there is something obstructing internally the ring to move upward.

I've read someone who had the same problem in this Bolex 350, but a long time ago and no answers. I guess this camera has this vulnerability as the decades go by.

Does somebody know how a super 8 works in relation to the internal mechanism of the zoom? Any tip is highly welcomed!

• Premium Member

S8 zooms like this have a front focusing group which can be completely unscrewed by taking off the focus ring and stop ring beneath, the thread is a multi start helical, mark everything to be able to reassemble properly. Behind the focus group are 2 zoom groups that are moved by a cam barrel. Motorised zooms like on the Bolex 350 have a zoom motor attached and drive via an adjustable clutch, can be hard to turn by hand sometimes.
Screws to disassemble the camera are hidden under leatherette and decals.
lup0.jpg
wu3p.jpg
Good luck!

Just to let you know ive fixed it. Ive reassembled the internal zoom mechanism, which is very propense to problems, and put some graphite in the zones of friction.

Gratz on fixing it, nothing feels better than resurrecting something left for dead.

PS:

Would anyone (Dom?) perchance have a parts schematic or service manual for the Bolex 7.5 Macrozoom? I have one complete and in beautiful condition, working drive motor but unfortunately the PX13s were left in the tray and as expected the lightmeter circuitry is all fritzed. I am certain I can trace the fault and repair it but as the body is a clamshell swathed entirely in leatherette, I am hesitant to ruin the covering. Hoping a schematic would help me identify the screw locations so perhaps a minimally invasive procedure can be used to split the body.

• 8 years later...
On 11/19/2013 at 7:42 PM, Dom Jaeger said:

S8 zooms like this have a front focusing group which can be completely unscrewed by taking off the focus ring and stop ring beneath, the thread is a multi start helical, mark everything to be able to reassemble properly. Behind the focus group are 2 zoom groups that are moved by a cam barrel. Motorised zooms like on the Bolex 350 have a zoom motor attached and drive via an adjustable clutch, can be hard to turn by hand sometimes.

Screws to disassemble the camera are hidden under leatherette and decals.

Good luck!

Not to revive an old topic, but Dom, would you happen to still have these photos? It looks like they've gone missing at some point.