Sound Projector Bolex G3

Joel Pierre

I just bought a Bolex G3 projector. It seems to have very little use. It must date from 1950. I disassembled for lubrication (grease and oil). The mechanism seems in good condition.

When I do turn the mechanism with the knob (8), everything seems normal, no special resistance. When I run the motor without driving the mechanism (release mechanism 10), the engine is running quickly without unwanted noise, but when I train the mechanism with the motor, the projector makes a terrible noise, but that is not continuous and systematic.

The noise is sometimes normal, but it does not last. Loud noise comes quickly. It seems that there is something that resonates.

I have two other projectors Bolex (G916 and G16), almost identical mechanically, that does not make all that noise. The projector is “empty” (without film).

What could be causing this noise?

CKknZ4EpfXG_bolex_g3.jpg

Sound captures :

Edited by Joel Pierre

• Premium Member

Dry bearing, un roulement sec

From the noises I can tell that the whole projector needs thorough cleaning, adjusting, and lubrication.

The G series go back to 1933 but still a model from 1950 is 63 years old, so the old mineral lubricants must be gotten rid of.

Investment for the future if you think the Paillard G is a good projector or scrap.

In my eyes they are hopelessly out-dated. Once you are used to a Bell & Howell Filmo or Filmosound you don’t want anything else.

Edited by Simon Wyss

Dry bearing, un roulement sec

From the noises I can tell that the whole projector needs thorough cleaning, adjusting, and lubrication.

The G series go back to 1933 but still a model from 1950 is 63 years old, so the old mineral lubricants must be gotten rid of.

But I have removed the old grease and replaced with new. I added oil to the bearings. When I turn by hand, it makes no noise. But maybe it should not put oil in the bearings?

I have another projector Bolex G916 of the thirty years, much older than this one, that does not make this noise.

Edited by Joel Pierre

In my eyes they are hopelessly out-dated. Once you are used to a Bell & Howell Filmo or Filmosound you don’t want anything else.

I also have other 16 mm projectors : Bolex S-221, S-321, Bauer P5 and P8.
The Bolex S is splendid (and very heavy) :
CKkxEAm3zg5_bolexs.jpg
CKkxE4nFdXy_bolexs221.jpeg
Edited by Joel Pierre

• Premium Member

Joël, I dont’ think it will be necessary to point out the fundamental differences between the two lines to you.

Nonetheless, for the others reading with, let’s repeat that the positioning distance, that is the distance from the optical axis to the hole edge(s) left last by the claw or whatever the positioning device may be, is +5 with the G and +4/3 with the S projectors. The +3 position has been recommended in DIN 69. ISO standards only vaguely suggest it although most cameras and projectors for 16-mm. film were designed that way. Perforation error cancellation can not take place with the G series when used with film exposed in Paillard-Bolex H and many other cameras.

The S projectors have some great features but also a couple of horrible drawbacks. We should discuss that separately, I think.

Of course should bearings be lubricated, that’s what they’re there for. Did you also lube the motor bearings?

Edited by Simon Wyss

No, unfortunately I do not have access to the motor. One of the screw holding the metal plate to the base of the projector, is totally jammed. I'm not able to unscrew.

The abnormal noise of the projector seems to depend on the speed. It appears from a certain speed and beyond a higher speed, it disappears, and reappear if the speed decreases.

• Premium Member

It’s probably time to see a machinist. Drill the screw out

The clutch between motor and works has plenty of rotary way. Every time one activates the clutch for run the motor receives a torque blow. Since the motor becomes warm it is very likely that its bearings are dry and run out. Besides that you have a fan on the motor shaft. This part can also make a noise. The sound you uploaded is really resonance (length of the oscillating element vs. speed).

If there is interest, I can offer an all-metal housing frame to the Paillard-Bolex S projectors. I have an S-321 and always wanted to do that. A handful of orders makes the story commercially viable. The plan is an aluminum frame with mitre joints to replace the plywood. Nicely shaped, fresh rubber mounts. I think I’ll calculate the conversion, if I have four demands or more.

The S projector has already been prepared since 1949, if not earlier.

• 11 months later...

Dear Joel,

I've just bought a projector Bolex G3.

Would you be kind to make scan/pictures of the instruction manual that you seems to own. I do not read great image quality, just readable. I would appreciate to see how to handle this device, changing the gears, do maintenance, etc?
I've got one lens with this device. Do we need different lenses according to the film format (I'm novice in this topic?)

Thanks and regards,

Chris