most prevalent anamorphic zoom for b4 mount

steve waschka

I am looking into investing in a true anamorphic glass for a B4 mount body. I shoot live action so a zoom is a must. I cant afford a new Optimo or the like. What is the most prevalent mount on older anamorphic zooms? And have you guys seen adapters to get it on a B4 mount? I have a nikon F converter. Thought a PL to nikon would exist but it looks like the ffd is too close. I guess it being that close I could get a custom mount fabricated for the lens. But you can start to see where this is going. I really dont want to experiment a whole lot with this. And that converter, as nice as it is, has glass in it. Id like to get it out of the image path for this purpose. Thanks.

• Premium Member

I am looking into investing in a true anamorphic glass for a B4 mount body. I shoot live action so a zoom is a must. I cant afford a new Optimo or the like. What is the most prevalent mount on older anamorphic zooms? And have you guys seen adapters to get it on a B4 mount? I have a nikon F converter. Thought a PL to nikon would exist but it looks like the ffd is too close. I guess it being that close I could get a custom mount fabricated for the lens. But you can start to see where this is going. I really dont want to experiment a whole lot with this. And that converter, as nice as it is, has glass in it. Id like to get it out of the image path for this purpose. Thanks.

Generally zooms are not used as you don't get the true effects as it's just a rear module on a lens. Cooke 20-100 has been used in the past. Why B4 mount? there is no 4x3, 2/3 sensor to use it on.

Stephen:

re: 4:3 sensor... My personal use workflow is sd video. [d600 d600ws bodies]. I can't warrant swapping it to HD considering the amount of use it gets and the quality it can produce with the processors I own.

re: anamorphic effect with rear element... Thats good to know about the rear elements as I have seen lens techs who can add such a module to the rear of a lens. But they are not cheap. Nor is the work. And its the kind of work that I dont believe there is a refund for poor performance results.

Saba:

Ive seen that lens. And i've seen screen grabs from it. It's interesting. But its usually Soviet bayonet or PL. That's my next issue. I can find a lot of B4 / PL converters for putting an eng lens on a cinema camera. But not the other way around. They're on the correct sides of the FFD chart. But there must be an issue with rear element diameter or protrusion.

Edited by steve waschka

• Premium Member

Saba:

Ive seen that lens. And i've seen screen grabs from it. It's interesting. But its usually Soviet bayonet or PL. That's my next issue. I can find a lot of B4 / PL converters for putting an eng lens on a cinema camera. But not the other way around. They're on the correct sides of the FFD chart. But there must be an issue with rear element diameter or protrusion.

Lomo Foton lens can be put very easily to EOS mount (the lens itself has an intermediate mount to where you can fit an custom adapter, for example this Rafcamera adapter: " http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADAPTER-interchangeable-mount-of-LOMO-Foton-zoom-lens-to-Arri-PL-camera-mount-/141049645581?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item20d736ca0d "

and this: " http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADAPTER-interchangeable-mount-of-LOMO-Foton-zoom-lens-to-Canon-EOS-EF-mount-/141049643467?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item20d736c1cb "

)

The seller, Rafael Pankratau, could possibly custom-made an intermediate mount directly to B4 mount for this type of lens if you email him.

The front anamorphic attachment for Foton zoom is very rare item nowadays, I don't believe you can find one of them easily (at least find one which one want's to sell...) . Some Russian ebay sellers may still have them somewhere in their garages, I believe.

You can always use anamorphic projector attachments with spherical zoom lenses if you don't focus too much (otherwise you would need some kind of driving mechanism to move the attachment's focus ring together with the zoom's focus ring <_<

Edited by aapo lettinen

• Premium Member

Lomo Foton lens is 37-140mm F3.5 (T4.3 or 4.4 depending on the version of the lens)

It has bad chromatic aberration in the long end (between 125 and 140mm) but is usable even for M4/3 sensor if closed to at least one stop and used between 37-125mm.

For SD use and 2/3" sensor I believe it would be quite good with the same settings.

I have two of these lenses but no anamorphic attachment, always used them in spherical setting...

• Premium Member

Way over-priced these days for what it is, but the Panasonic 16:9 conversion lens AG-LA7200 is a 1.33x anamorphic front that can be adapted for small zooms, originally made for Panasonic cams like the DVX100. Not great optically, but will give some anamorphic flare and realistically you're not going to find a "true anamorphic" zoom in B4 mount.

aapo:

RE: changing the mount: i'll research that some more for that lens.

RE: Projector adapters. Done it for a few years. Speed focusing cant be done for sports without a having too much depth of field. By hand that is. Ive seen that guys deal that reads the gear of the spher and moves the gear of the adapter. Its a "one of" and appears too fragile for my working environment.

DIY is prob: follow focus with hard stops. But you need 3. Focus right side of lens, Adapter left side of lens, and Zoom left side of lens. That gets you the same direction of travel for focusing the two units [the schneider is backwards] and zoom far enough away you shouldnt mistake it. But now your locked to a tripod. Its a last resort option

Edited by steve waschka