HMI in the Rain

• Premium Member

There are a few solutions.

The one I like is using a material called Celo Flex to tent the head (and cover the ballast & distro with visqueen). (http://store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/celoflex48x50.html)

You could also make a tent over the unit with black wrap that is grip clipped to the yoke of the unit.

You could also take a 4x4 frame of diffusion and tent the unit so the water runs away.

With either of these scenarios I would use heat shield over the lens so that any stray water can?t touch the lens and cause it to explode.

Kevin Zanit

I've seen Arri HMIs take a pretty hard load of rain a few times without any "additional cover" or protection, never failed. Use and umbrella over lamp, mostly protecting glass ( lenses and lamp lens) make sure conector is covered with plastic and you will certainly need to place ballast on an apple box and cover it with plastic, as well as ballast ac plug ( even if it is stage pin connector). Ive seen Arris in open rain without an umbrella and still working under several gallons of rain, as long as the lamp is turned on it will evaporate water con contact.

Cheers

Oscar

• Premium Member

There is a gaffer in FL that makes rain covers for lights. They're called "Rob's Rain Hat's" I believe. I can't find his # at the moment, but his name is Rob Scott. You might be able to find it online somewhere. I'm not sure what he makes them out of, but I've seen them in service many times and they work great.