How to make a Behind the Scene videos?

BTS Videos are typically a combination of interviews, on-set b-roll, and publicity shots supplied by the production company.

You might be able to use a smartphone for some on-set B-roll but you will probably want a camera with better audio capabilities for the interviews.

Tim is correct.

As a favor, I was asked to shoot BTS on a set. Have that sucker (camera) on your hip at all times and be ready to go at a moment's notice. This is documentary film-making. It reminded me a lot of the nature stuff that I shot a long time ago. If you don't have your camera ready -- you will miss the shot. You want candid shots of talent... shots of the camera crew prepping... actors running through their scenes... FX crews prepping, etc. Get your hands on a copy of the script and find some interesting scenes ahead of time that you know the audience will be intrigued about and earmark them. Approach the talent, when they're not busy, and graciously ask them if they wouldn't mind sitting down for a quick five minute interview for BTS. Have your questions written down in advance. Ask questions that the talent simply can't say “Yes” or “No.” You don't necessarily need fancy lights. You can use natural light or something as simple as a utility reflector light clamped onto a light stand. Or, you could use a cluster of household lights wrapped in diffusion just right outside of the frame with some white foamcore bounce if necessary. I, personally, prefer "loop" lighting for interviews. You'll definitely need a shotgun mic and possibly a lav. For interviews, I simply had a shotgun mic clipped to a C-stand arm just outside of the frame above the talent. As far as cameras, I would use a HD prosumer camera.

Edited by Brett Bailey

Approach the talent, when they're not busy, and graciously ask them if they wouldn't mind sitting down for a quick five minute interview for BTS. Have your questions written down in advance. Ask questions that the talent simply can't say “Yes” or “No.”

Most often the production company will schedule the BTS interviews when it is convenient for the talent and crew. It might be on a separate day.

Yes and No answers can be an editor's nightmare since your questions might not be included in the piece.

Most often the production company will schedule the BTS interviews when it is convenient for the talent and crew. It might be on a separate day.

True, but I made an effort to befriend the talent's personal assitant and built a rapport with both the assistant and talent. It allowed me some unique access to other areas of the production.

Edited by Brett Bailey