taping the camera

This may be a stupid question. Is it necessary to place tape around the camera body to ensure that it is lightproof? I have seen pictures where tape was placed around a magazine, but what if I am using short lengths of film in the camera body itself? Is it still necessary to tape? I don't want to get sticky goo from the tape all over the camera.

This may be a stupid question. Is it necessary to place tape around the camera body to ensure that it is lightproof? I have seen pictures where tape was placed around a magazine, but what if I am using short lengths of film in the camera body itself? Is it still necessary to tape? I don't want to get sticky goo from the tape all over the camera.

if you buy the proper camera tape you shouldnt have any problems. camera tape doesnt leave a residue, for that exact reason. :)

check out studiodepot.com

Edited by zrszach

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

The magazines on some 16mm/35mm cameras have been known to suddenly fly open whilst rolling, tape just holds it secure just incase it does feel the need to open.

I'm not sure how many mags just fly open without the help of a person loading incorrectly. However, when you have half of a dozen mags running back and forth from set to loader, it's an extremely visible clue that there is film inside the mag, either exposed or unexposed. It's about easy communication and preventing someone from exposing a roll by accident. With a quick glance the loader knows which mags are loaded. Likewise, with a quick glance the 2nd on set knows which mags are loaded.

To take it a step futher, on shows using different films stocks for either aesthetic reasons or budgetary (ie: dear Media Distributers, give us whatever you can at cheap rates), you establish a color coding system within the camera department. So the second AC can quickly look in the mag cases, see red tape and know that he has 5218 ready to go, but the DP wants 5229 so he needs to look for blue tape, etc...

Whenever possible I test camera mags and bodies with a mini flashlight inside them in a very dark room.

I do NOT like to festoon a camera or mag with camera tape (I wish I had stock in Permacel when I see this).

However, it's a good idea to always tape over latches etc and you've got the tape from the cans so you can use it.

(Obviously if the mag is going to be subjected to vibration etc you work accordingly but..

and the color coding is always a good idea).

If you're unsure, do it, but if it's your camera you should not be reliant on tape to prevent light leaks, you should test for them, figure out where it happens and solve the problem.

My opinion.

-Sam

• Premium Member

I have seen people tape the camera body on an Arri 16s and SR a few times. It was just because it was an old camera that quite likely had light leaks in the body.

Generally though, this is not a standard practice. It would take to long for one thnig, and is not necessary for another. As was said above, just tape over the mag and its latches is standard practice.

Kevin Zanit

My old Auricon Cine-Voice chop-top requires significant taping to minimize light leaks. You've heard of the "successful Auricon conversions" like the Frezzi and the CP-16? Well, mine was one of the other ones, I guess. It leaks light like a screen door. But the Mitchell 400' magazine on top is light tight, so I'm happy about that.

I tell you what if I was taping a camera because I knew it had a light leak I wouldn't use colored tape.

Well I've been shooting b&w in that camera, so I use black tape. Or white tape, whatever.

Which reminds me - If I get light leaks when shooting reversal film, do I get dark leaks in negative? Or only when using black lites?

I do NOT like to festoon a camera or mag with camera tape (I wish I had stock in Permacel when I see this). My opinion.

-Sam

I really like the word festoon :)

I agree with you unnecessarily taping a camera is overdoing it.

The color coded system is understood...and reasonable (I like it.)

Usually most modern well-maintain cameras don't suffer from light leaks...

However if you're using a really old well-travel camera

Do what you can to keep it going well--tape, gum, bandaid etc...

Better yet just get a barney for the magazine...simplest ideas...