Today's Office

Tim Tyler

Hi Everyone! Our official indigogo page to fund our film Untitled: A Cop drama is now live. Any donations towards the film would be highly appreciated. Along with your donations, there are many perks that come along with it. Thank you!

As a filmmaker and director of this film, it would be amazing to get the backing of the film community around the world. We are going to film on a Arri Alexa Mini and hopefully make a film worth watching. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Edited by Tayyib Mahmood

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Got my hands on the legendary David Lean lens, a 500mm (or 482mm if pedantic) telephoto that was designed by Panavision specifically for the long shot of Omar Sharif entering from a mirage in the far distance and riding on a camel all the way into a close shot. One of the greatest telephoto shots (and entrances) in cinema.

And here's the lens on my test projector:

post-46614-0-36045200-1549070345_thumb.jpg

Minimum focus is 23 ft, which is just about the length of my projection room!

• Upvote 3

• Premium Member

Awesome! I remember when Young used it, it was not painted black, it looked like a brass fire hose.

Considering that a 500mm on a 65mm camera would be more like a 250mm equivalent in Super-35, it's amazing that it was long enough for that mirage effect.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Still one of my favourite shots (and scenes) of all time. Super cool Dom. Is the lens still in service?

Hi Mark,

I think it was a display piece in Woodland Hills until a few years ago, never used again since that shot in Lawrence, but as with many legacy lenses (like the Ultra Panavision anamorphics dug out and refurbished for Richardson to use on Hateful Eight) it seems to have been revived and put back to work. Given its singular history I don't think it's something just anybody can rent, but I'm not privy to that side of things.

It is one of the best parts of working for Panavision actually, getting to handle and test the exact same lenses that have been used by the greatest cinematographers and directors of the past 60 years on iconic movies. Totally brings out the lens geek in me!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

At Hornsey Town Hall standing in for New Yourk Public Library for "Chaplin".

Guess who forgot to get a picture of the Steenbeck playing itself in a 1980s film lab, so this will have to do.

Is this a D40?

post-9972-0-92017600-1551185067_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark Dunn

At Hornsey Town Hall standing in for New Yourk Public Library for "Chaplin".

Guess who forgot to get a picture of the Steenbeck playing itself in a 1980s film lab, so this will have to do.

Is this a D40?

This seems rather excessive lighting for the edit suite.. changing the bulb would have been so much more efficient and far less expensive .. are the authorities aware.. Tory council no doubt..

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...