ND FILTERS FOR OLD 16MM LENSES

flavio filho

Hey everybody

After getting my Black Magic Pocket Cam, and a bunch of accessories, I'm about to start delving into the wonderful world, and perform some lens tests.
I have 4 Schneider Prims, and 4 Kern Primes.

The gear is almost complete. But I'm stuck in finding a solution for a ND Filter for these little primes.
Any suggestions?

I'm not sure if there's any that could fit a Matte Box? Not sure if that is still used.

Thanks,
F

• Premium Member

because you already have the lenses, the easies way could be to buy various step-up rings for them to fit them all to the same front size, and then use matte box with rail support (15mm LW or 12mm non-standard) .

These lenses can't hold any kind of mb by themselves, so the support is really necessary. with step-up rings you can also get more room between camera and mb for focusing more easily

From memory the Scneider primes for 16mm don't have threaded fronts. If you could custom make a common front diameter you could maybe customise a clamp for a Series 9 holder. Round fiters are cheap on eBay. This way you aren't adding much bulk to the camera.

If you do use a matte box it can be small. 3x3 is enough for the Scneiders. Unless you are trying to make use of bigger filters that you use for something else.

Edited by Gregg MacPherson