Making The Shining

Speaking of mysteries, I went through Vivians doco again to try and find the shot of the weird little mini crane dolly thing.

The shot I originally saw seems to have vanished from the video but I think I have found a shot of it being actually operated 13 minutes in. The little crane is electrically operated and also seems able to smoothly move from side to side as in the shot shown.

Can anyone recognise it and tell me what it is?

I've never seen one of these before and it looks quite nice to my eyes.

Cranes are quite trendy in the UK at the moment. I was on one set where they had a cherry picker, a techno crane on standby (that they didn't use for the entire shoot) and a third crane I didn't recognise, which just seemed to be sitting around for no reason. Maybe it was a backup for the technocrane they didn't use. In any case. I've never seen a tiny crane like this one. I think it looks quite practical in a way. I like it.

Freya

Well I got hold of a copy of "The Shining" and watched the bit on the stairs and well, you are going to kick yourselves but almost all the footage in this scene is shooting down the stairs! There are a couple of shots for just a few seconds shooting up the stairs that could have used that rig. I suspect it didn't work however although it's hard to tell from such short clips.

These days we have a lot of experience of seeing peoples rigs on you-tube and the whole "My broom handle steady really works you just have to spend a few months learning to walk funny" type stuff, so perhaps it is easier for us to know that it's hard to make home made rigs for movement. Thus we might look at that shining rig and say "That's never going to work!" a lot more than they would at the time. Back then even the steadicam was new.

Freya