Against The Wild

Now finally sales data. A No.11 opening in the USA:

http://www.the-numbers.com/weekly-dvd-sales-chart

Dang proud of that! Especially for a non-theatrical title. And of course the only Canadian film to make the chart ;)

R,

Damn just beaten out of the top ten by the Hunger Games and "Thor: The Dark World"! ;)

Freya

Thanks, proof positive of what indies can do without a theatrical release, mega budget, or Tom Cruise.

R,

But it's a mathematical quandary James. The more you put in, the more you have to get out. Theatrical releases cost millions for a small run, and Tom Cruise is going to need 20M just to read a script. So now you have just raised your break even point that much higher. And there have only been a few films in history that have escaped this math.

And as the studios have seen many times over, 200M in guarantees you nothing other than the fact that you have 200M on the line. The public can belch on a 200M movie these days just as easily as a 2M movie.

R,

Well, there is that. The thing about high profile pictures is there is a prestege in helming them. It can help you get projects made if you have a hit. The negative part is you are under the thumb of the studios so it becomes directing by committee which I would find dubious at best. The other part is getting the opportunity to work with some of the finest talent on earth and not have to short the production because of budgetary reasons, WHICH, if you are allowed to make your own movie, gives you the freedom and resourses to have your vision splashed up on screen exactly as you envisioned it or as close as one can get to that vision collaborating with one's colleges. I guess it comes down to what you want to do. I'd love to direct DiCaprio or Cruise, Jollie, Johansen. Have Stotorio light my set although, Mr. Mullen would be great choice to have too, be able to afford a John Williams or Danny Elfman score, have ILM do the FX. Then on the other hand, it could be great to take a 2M budget and have near total autonomy where you don't even consider taking chances during production as risky but essential, where you push the envelope and discover how far yoi can hang it out over the creative edge. Ideally, you can get the opportunity to do both on a somewhat regular basis. I like a lot of tentpoles but I also enjoy small indies, lately I've been facsinated by Noir both classic and modern. They were made to be done on the cheap but I would kill to direct one. One of my favorites is Brick. I thought it was brilliant and still do. I kinda got reaquainted with noir during the editing on The Black Sky sizzle reel which had a section where I used a lot of

Rhembrant lighting setups, but I digress. I can see advantages to both mega pics and small indies as well as medium budgeted pictures and although it's always about the story, I think given a choice, I'd prefer bigger projects overall, but who knows, by the time I get to that point. Do you ever feel you might want to direct a big picture? I'm just curious.

Do you ever feel you might want to direct a big picture? I'm just curious.

They're all big, because it's all relative :)

R,

• Premium Member

The other part is getting the opportunity to work with some of the finest talent on earth ...Jollie, Johansen. ..

Did I read this correctly? I've viewed better talent in high school drama class.

Stars are overrated. Work with who you can and love them for it.

They're all big, because it's all relative :)

R,

:D Good answer. Of course, I agree, any picture we do are "Big" in reletive terms and we treat them all as A pictures, but when the financal stakes are, let us say, excessively significant, would you lobby to helm such an endevour or do you prefer smaller, less loaded fare?

Did I read this correctly? I've viewed better talent in high school drama class

Stars are overrated. Work with who you can and love them for it.

OhhKay, high school drama class, huh? Yeah. Though I appreciate your "advice'" Mat, IF I EVER get the opportunity to work with either Scarlett Johansen or Angelina Jolle, through there might be a VERY SLIGHT snowball's chance in Hell, I might ask if that's OK with you, I gotta be honest and say I'm gonna wing it abd take their offer in SPADES. Edited by James Steven Beverly

• Premium Member

OhhKay, high school drama class, huh? Yeah. Though I appreciate your "advice'" Mat, IF I EVER get the opportunity to work with either Scarlett Johansen or Angelina Jolle, through there might be a VERY SLIGHT snowball's chance in Hell, I might ask if that's OK with you, I gotta be honest and say I'm gonna wing it abd take their offer in SPADES.

No one is saying turn it down or ask for permission. But you have, on one occasion, said that I was not "mature enough in my craft" but yet you pick two overrated and under talented actresses to pick as the pinnacle of success in the field. You do not say "I'd love to work with Meryl Streep", "Hilary Swank", or hell, even "Jennifer Lawrence" but you pick two women that have been known primarily for either sex appeal, who they have dated and/or married, or some other weird tabloid quirk.

When you said I had maturing to do in my craft because of my feelings about Kubrick...perhaps you are right. But I think you need to mature in your craft about what you value in terms of acting if you are going to be a Director.

I've seen superb performances from both these actresses. Jollie along with Milla are a couple in a HANDFULL of female action stars that have acchieve superstardom, no easy task by a LONG SHOT. Meryle Streep, one of the finest actresses to have ever graced the silver screen can't do what Angelina Jollie can do. John Wayne who had the acting range width of a freeway dotted line was one of the greatest movie stars in American motion picture history. Scarlett Johansen is a WONDERFUL actress. Her work in Lost in Translation GAVE Sophia Coppola a film career. I love Hillery Swank, but I didn't happen to think of her while I was writing my examples. As for Jennifer Lawrance, honestly, I haven't seen anything she's done that just knocked me out. Her performance in The Hunger Games was reasonably utilitarian good but I blame that on the script which I felt could stand another draft or three. Otherwise nothing I've seen her in has been all that impressive though I DO feel somewhere deep down inside of her is a performance of epic preportions dying for the right script. I mainly write variants on action/adventure and pretty much direct my own stuff though I do enjoy working in other genres on occasion just for fun so I don't get bored. I like movie stars. As big a pain in the ass some can every once in a while be, they bring something to the screen that very few people on earth can, a mesmerizing presences that compels one to pay attention to every moment they're on screen and THAT is the true definition of "movie magic". Open your mind to what a movie star really brings to the table. Paul Muni was perhaps the greatest film actor in history yet how often is his name mentioned in comparison to John Wayne, James Cagney, Cary Grant, Gary Cooper. Talent and stardom are intertwined, but often times, somewhat loosely.

Edited by James Steven Beverly

• Premium Member

I am sorry but I have to disagree with your opinions on Jolie and Scarlett. I also disagree about Coppola as well. Haven't you heard of the Virgin Suicides? She was already known for that. And I am sure it didn't hurt having that last name and familial relation either.

I am most amazed at how you talk as though you are experienced but yet you speak of these stars as though they are something supernatural. There is so much talent out there that has yet to be discovered and many of them will NEVER get to be huge. Is it because they aren't good? No way. It is because there is more than just talent required. It is networking and sometimes just luck involved. And then there are many who are taking up space from someone more worthy. Many times these are the singers turned actors (Jessica Simpson, for example) but sometimes they are just actors that you wonder who ever gave them a shot.

But this is all opinion and if you want to worship Jolie, you go right ahead. She may be overrated, unremarkable, and downright scary looking to me but to you she may be a goddess.

On a separate note though, James, I wonder why you still haven't went ahead and made your film yet? Is this whole star issue holding up production or is something else? It would be sad if you never accomplished your dream because you are waiting on unrealistic circumstances.

The Virgin Suicides was interesting but far from mainstream and large box office returns. It was a small slice of life, character driven piece with limited appeal that was targetted for the arthouse crowd. Though well done,w the Coppola name not been attached, I firmly believe it would have remained a haunting, well made, obsure arthouse failure. The Coppola name carries a lot of weight, as it should but I doubt Lost in Translation would have been made without that pedigree attached. Scarlett Johansen's performance is what made the film a hit and Sophia Coppola's most popular film. That's not to say Bill Murrey didn't do a great job, but Johansen was the brilliant light of that film. Sophia Coppola could not recapture that success even with a much larger budget and A list cast in her Marie Antwonette film. Stars are supernatural in a way. Their beguiling presence draws an audience into a film though sheer strenght of that presence. See this is what you appear to be missing, it's not about talent although talent is essential at least for the genre they excel in, it's much more than talent or looks or likeability or intellegence, it's an undifinable whole that is more than the sum of it's elements which creates something unique. There are truly GREAT actors that even given every opportunity imaginable, will never become movie stars. BTW, when was the last time you saw the new Jessica Simpson movie? I'm not talking about 15 minute fame people here, I talking about the Jimmy Stewart, James Dean, Elisibeth Taylor, Katherine and Audrie Hepburn kind of people. Bruce Willis, Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, Penelope Cruz, Micheal Douglas kind of people.

As for my film or films actually as we've had interest in our slate, we are currently in negotiation with 2 separate concerns and my executive producer has meetings scheduled. We have other interests looking at 2 other proje cts I also wrote but which are separate from the slate list. I have been offered a minimum start date and budget that I have requested be subject to current dynamics envolved. It would, indeed, be sad if I were to not accomplish my dream because I was waiting on unrealistic circumstances but fortunately, my executive producer has over 150 films to his credit and has a great repour with several high profile industry people. He's also a trustworthy, highly skilled and very smart, great person that I consider much more of a friend than a business partner. I do appreciate your concern though. In this environment where money is tight and Hollywood's tarnished reputation has led to investor skeptisisim and excessive caution, finding money can be, at times, ellusive but not impossible. The trick is to never givw up, never surrender. I've always loved Galaxy Quest!!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, and just for FYI one of those "two overrated and under talented actresses" the one you concidered "overrated, unremarkable, and downright scary looking to me" was just named an honorary Dame by the Queen Elizibeth II:

http://www.justjared.com/2014/06/13/angelina-jolie-made-an-honorary-dame-by-queen-elizabeth-ii/

Hey, If James Steven Beverly could break his words down into paragraphs, each one with words clustered around one idea, the world would be a better place. I dare not read as is with an innocent, unguarded mind, and speed reading that gives me a headache. Offered with the best of intentions Steven.

• Premium Member

Oh, and just for FYI one of those "two overrated and under talented actresses" the one you concidered "overrated, unremarkable, and downright scary looking to me" was just named an honorary Dame by the Queen Elizibeth II:

Are you serious or is this a joke? (Not the info but the fact that it, in any way, proves your point about her being talented.)

Elton John is a Knight. So what?

Edit: Honorary titles really tick me off. It is like Jim Carrey being made an honorary doctor. What a crock. While I waste a decade of my life actually doing research to earn the title, they just give it away to some guy whose claim to fame included having copious amounts of asparagus in his teeth.

Us Yanks rebelled so we dont give a damn what the Qween thinks ;)

The pragmatic political power of the English monarchy is long gone. But why not, along with most everyone else, just enjoy the social, creative, artistic and spiritual expression that the monarchy remains as nowadays. To do less is just mean.

Why aren't those pommies sticking up for the monarchy. That's just damn unpatriotic. Or maybe they believe in the oposite thing. Some sort of republic. There has been a kind of first order social revolution going on in the globe for much of the 20th century, which, though seeming original, on second looks is just an incarnation of the endless revolt against the parent, oedipus and so forth. One of the epicentres has been the UK, and oftentimes the US has followed. I guess the influence of the imperialists is harder to shrug than some would imagine.

All offered in fun.

Us Yanks rebelled so we dont give a damn what the Qween thinks ;)

Hey ya go, folks, I present one of our sub-culture species:

The Ugly American.

Are you serious or is this a joke? (Not the info but the fact that it, in any way, proves your point about her being talented.)

Elton John is a Knight. So what?

Edit: Honorary titles really tick me off. It is like Jim Carrey being made an honorary doctor. What a crock. While I waste a decade of my life actually doing research to earn the title, they just give it away to some guy whose claim to fame included having copious amounts of asparagus in his teeth.

Well, with the exception of the fact that Elton John was a British subject and Jim Carrey wasn't made an honorary doctor by the Queen. I have great regard for the British In fact there is a city in Yorkshire where my family name derives from. The only reason the title is "Honorary" is because Jollie is American and not a Brit. It's somewhat rare to have that honor bestowed on an American. Her talent and acclaim in a variety of genres has proven her quality as an actress. The fact that she's constantly working and her films put asses in the seats in record numbers and has been through out her career is more than enough for me to consider proof she's a great actress. Oh, and since you asked,YES, to me, this very much is a joke.

Hey, If James Steven Beverly could break his words down into paragraphs, each one with words clustered around one idea, the world would be a better place. I dare not read as is with an innocent, unguarded mind, and speed reading that gives me a headache. Offered with the best of intentions Steven.

Yeah, well at one time I wanted to be a novelist and you know how hard it is to break old habits. Besides, editing is for whooses :rolleyes:

• Premium Member

Hey ya go, folks, I present one of our sub-culture species:

The Ugly American.

Are you sure you are from Texas? You seem to lack the...urm...testosterone of the males I have met from Texas. I suppose our founding fathers would be considered "ugly Americans" as well since they had little regard for the monarchy.

I still say Jolie (you said Jollie) is overrated. There is far superior talent in the industry. Maleficent is hardly Citizen Kane, mate.

Edit: What have you done that makes you an authority to not only act like your opinion is superior to mine but ALSO to throw subtle comments that diss Richard's work? I am sure he didn't miss your comment about torturing people with movies with talking dogs (reference to the Dogfather.) At least he makes films and doesn't pipe dream about having enough money. Sorry, someone had to say it.