Added To IMDB At Last

Ok folks IMDB has at last added one, yes one, of my productions...

Richard's Show Link To IMDB

I only raise the point because on a few occasions some forum folk have pointed out that I didn't really count because I was not listed on IMDB, now I am, whooooppppeee.

Maybe they'll start adding the rest of my credits and shows?

Any way, just FYI. That's all.

Richard

I'm not sure how much good it'll do. It certainly won't do any harm. People have said to me in the past phrases like "We couldn't find you on IMDB could you send us another resume?" etc. It seems like it's gaining too much importance. They don't list commercials, industrial stuff, etc. in which you may have an extensive resume. I'm finally getting on because I just shot some second unit pick ups for a feature that's already listed. I've worked on projects in the past that haven't gotten listed, yet anyway.

IMDB is missing about twenty of my grip credits, Melinda & Melinda, Kate & Leopold, Men In Black 2, Door in The Floor, Vanilla Sky, and on and on. It's not really accurate. (No, I'm not going to register to correct them.) In fact, if a producer were relying on IMDB to judge job candidates, that would be kind of a red flag for me. (But, yes, I was tickled when I saw a Cinematographer credit on my page. :) )

• Premium Member
In fact, if a producer were relying on IMDB to judge job candidates, that would be kind of a red flag for me.  (But, yes, I was tickled when I saw a Cinematographer credit on my page. :) )

Well, I know that a lot of producers check IMDB before hiring someone for a job. If you update your listing it may help give you a little extra chance to get a job you really want in the future. I've had DP's (when working with them for the first time) ask me about certain projects that I worked on that were on IMDB. They were checking me out before the job started, and when they saw that I have a few credits on IMDB it probably eased their mind. I don't see anything wrong with it and I try to keep my listing as current as possible.

• 5 weeks later...
IMDB is missing about twenty of my grip credits, Melinda & Melinda, Kate & Leopold, Men In Black 2, Door in The Floor, Vanilla Sky, and on and on. It's not really accurate. (No, I'm not going to register to correct them.) In fact, if a producer were relying on IMDB to judge job candidates, that would be kind of a red flag for me.  (But, yes, I was tickled when I saw a Cinematographer credit on my page. :) )

Not accurate? Did they claim 'complete crew' for these missing credits? If not they were just not complete and it's easy to fix...

• Premium Member
IMDB is missing about twenty of my grip credits, (snip) (No, I'm not going to register to correct them.)

Why don't you? The registration is free. Updating info yourself is really fast. The whole point of imdb is that the users provide the info. I certainly always update my page, since otherwise I'd have to wait for a production update (which mostly happens around the time the film gets released, if ever).

I don't know, we all have reels, and resumes, and a lot to say during an interview. I'd rather be judged on "Me," rather than on a website listing that any given time is missing a lot of info. I'd rather not feed the myth that IMDB is more accurate than my resume, or that IMDB is the definitive word on my career. One of the credits on there is as Key Grip of a freebie I did 12 years ago and left after two days (one could even say I got fired from it); Another Key Grip credit is for one day on a feature on which the union forced the production to hire a grip on a day exterior w/ no equipment! (I have had other, real jobs.) That's what I mean by inaccurate. (How do they get this info??)

Doug Hart, the distinguished camera assistant, did me a great favor and worked on a student film I shot. So, the kids checked him out on IMDB, and all they seemed to care about was not all the films he did w/ Gordon Willis, but his "Gilbert Grape" credit, which he got by doing a week of second unit work. That strikes me as a "disconnect" between IMDB and reality.

I understand producers have to wade through a lot of job applicants, but if someone gets hooked on the IMDB listings, I would have to think that he's either shallow or naive.

Edited by J-Ro

• Premium Member
I'd rather be judged on "Me," rather than on a website listing that any given time is missing a lot of info. I'd rather not feed the myth that IMDB is more accurate than my resume, or that IMDB is the definitive word on my career.

But you have the power to correct that! That's the whole point of it. Even if you don't believe in resumes (on the internet or otherwise), fact is that A LOT of people use it. By not assuring that your info is accurate, you're only doing yourself a big disservice.

I went to update my listing, and I quote: "You may report errors and omissions on this page to the IMDb database managers. They will be examined and if approved will be included in a future update."

Who elected these people, who don't get things right on their own, the validators of my career? Why in God's name do I have to verify my eMail so I can get more freakin' spam and BS advertising, just so some know-nothing producers can check me out in totally misguided fashion before they will deign to ask to look at my reel?!! I find it objectionable to have to include this third party of "database manager" vultures in a process that's between me and a potential employer.

Edited by J-Ro

There are movies on IMDb that were done locally, on video, for OSU's programming on the public access channel. I think a lot of you guys deserve to have your credits on there, too. Seems fair.

The IMDb database managers are just there to check for obvious BS. There's a story about a kid that told IMDb that his teenage friend played IG88 on The Empire Strikes Back. They put him on the cast list, and next thing you know, his name is in Star Wars magazines as the person operating IG88. The database managers are trying to stop stuff like that from happening. Emphasis on trying, I suppose.

Who elected these people, who don't get things right on their own, the validators of my career? Why in God's name do I have to verify my eMail so I can get more freakin' spam and BS advertising, just so some know-nothing producers can check me out in totally misguided fashion before they will deign to ask to look at my reel?!! I find it objectionable to have to include this third party of "database manager" vultures in a process that's between me and a potential employer.

Who elected the owners of credit reporting bureaus, who report publically available information on your credit history to potential lenders? If you think you have control over all aspects of your life, you're sadly mistaken. There are many things that are, to some degree, out of your control, but IMDB, for the most part, is not one of them. Write them and they will implement your corrections.

In general, they get their information from released credit listings and production charts, and are, in general, reasonably accurate. If you don't want your potential employment to be controlled by some anonyomous Internet site, then present a reel and a resume to the potential employer and let them review that. I guarantee you that will be more influential than an IMDB listing. Most producers use the IMDB as a quick shortcut to see how legitimate an applicant is, or in some cases, to check on things they're done to see if they're appropriate for the project. Like it or not, the rise of the Internet as a preferred research vehicle has brought with it the downside that anything can be posted anywhere and not necessarily be questioned, at least by those too lazy or too ignorant to question it. You can't change that. Deal with it.

If you don't want your potential employment to be controlled by some anonyomous Internet site, then present a reel and a resume to the potential employer and let them review that. I guarantee you that will be more influential than an IMDB listing. Most producers use the IMDB as a quick shortcut to see how legitimate an applicant is, or in some cases, to check on things they're done to see if they're appropriate for the project. Like it or not, the rise of the Internet as a preferred research vehicle has brought with it the downside that anything can be posted anywhere and not necessarily be questioned, at least by those too lazy or too ignorant to question it. You can't change that. Deal with it.

Yes, I suppose it makes sense to just flow w/ the tide. I just don't want IMDB to get in the way of my being able to even send my reel to a potential job.

One thing that annoys me is looking at the credits for a movie I worked on the whole way, not seeing my name, but seeing the name of someone who worked a day or two at most. On the other hand, if they accept credits for every film I've worked on for only a day, then I could have one hell of a bloated IMDB page :)

I don't know, we all have reels, and resumes, and a lot to say during an interview. I'd rather be judged on "Me," rather than on a website listing that any given time is missing a lot of info. I'd rather not feed the myth that IMDB is more accurate than my resume, or that IMDB is the definitive word on my career. One of the credits on there is as Key Grip of a freebie I did 12 years ago and left after two days (one could even say I got fired from it); Another Key Grip credit is for one day on a feature on which the union forced the production to hire a grip on a day exterior w/ no equipment! (I have had other, real jobs.) That's what I mean by inaccurate. (How do they get this info??)

Usually there is a credit on the film. If there is you have an issue with the credits of the production, not IMDb. If no credit is there the person himself/herself usually submits it and it should have an (uncrdited) attribute. If someone submits a wrong credit you can have it removed as long as the credits on the film/show confirm your claim.

Yes, I suppose it makes sense to just flow w/ the tide. I just don't want IMDB to get in the way of my being able to even send my reel to a potential job.

One thing that annoys me is looking at the credits for a movie I worked on the whole way, not seeing my name, but seeing the name of someone who worked a day or two at most. On the other hand, if they accept credits for every film I've worked on for only a day, then I could have one hell of a bloated IMDB page  :)

You can if you actually got a credit...