Aaton LTR 54 Purchase Advise & Servicing in Europe

Alexander Boyd

Hello everyone!

I've done quite some research about the different Aaton LTR 54s, but still I would love to hear your thoughts about this particular one and it's associated price.

I'm about to buy an Aaton LTR 54 (#897). So it's an early LTR 54 which was converted from 16mm to Super 16. It features 32fps Top Speed, Mechanical Drive for Mags, Optional Light Meter, Optional Relay optics for VR 30 tube tap.

It was owned by a professional director of photography and comes with a few accessories. In 2010 it was serviced for the last time so I'm expecting to have it serviced again quite soon. The price for the complete kit is $3000.

My questions are:

(1) I'm a young director/filmmaker. Like many of us, almost all of my jobs are done using digital cameras. However, from time to time I am doing more personal projects (shorts, docs) and I'd love to have a S16 camera to experiment. E.g. I'm not planning to use the camera on any paid jobs. However, I don't have anything planned as of yet. Now would you rather wait and only buy the camera once I have a project or would you seriously consider buying it right now since the price makes it quite attractive.

(2) Any names/houses that offer to service the camera in EUROPE?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Alex

• Premium Member

Hello everyone!

I've done quite some research about the different Aaton LTR 54s, but still I would love to hear your thoughts about this particular one and it's associated price.

I'm about to buy an Aaton LTR 54 (#897). So it's an early LTR 54 which was converted from 16mm to Super 16. It features 32fps Top Speed, Mechanical Drive for Mags, Optional Light Meter, Optional Relay optics for VR 30 tube tap.

It was owned by a professional director of photography and comes with a few accessories. In 2010 it was serviced for the last time so I'm expecting to have it serviced again quite soon. The price for the complete kit is $3000.

My questions are:

(1) I'm a young director/filmmaker. Like many of us, almost all of my jobs are done using digital cameras. However, from time to time I am doing more personal projects (shorts, docs) and I'd love to have a S16 camera to experiment. E.g. I'm not planning to use the camera on any paid jobs. However, I don't have anything planned as of yet. Now would you rather wait and only buy the camera once I have a project or would you seriously consider buying it right now since the price makes it quite attractive.

(2) Any names/houses that offer to service the camera in EUROPE?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Alex

When was the last major service? It could cost as much as the camera.......

I don't know Aaton well, but this, just from general knowledge.....

- Other cametras (later Aaton, Eclair ACL, Arri SR) will give 75fps for slow motion.

- Replacing the battery charger should not be a big obstacle. It doesn't have to be an Arri one.

- Angenieux 12-120 is quite soft compared to the S16 zooms that came later and not covering S16. They are really nice lenses for hand holding, smooth zooms with just your hand.

- Try for a later Aaton. If you are patient you may get one for the same price or less.

- Know the service history (or be a lucky dice player).

Thanks for the very helpful insights!

Checking with the current owner again, it turned out that it's a LTR 7 (#897).

The reasons I'm still considering to buy it are:

- I don't necessarily need to shoot faster then 32fps.

- I don't need video tap.

- Universal Aaton Mount is just fine, at least for now.

Are there any other shortcomings between a late LTR 7 and a LTR 54?

I believe that the service history is quite well. It has been previously owned by two cinematographers who regularly serviced it. Last time they serviced it was in 2010 though, so I might have to get it checked again soon.