New firmware update for BMCC 2.5K coming or not?

Vadim Joy

Let's be serious here: these cameras aren't being widely used to shoot theatrically released motion pictures, they're being used in circumstances where single-system sound is relevant. What's more, an Alexa will record audio. An F65 will record audio. Clearly it's considered useful by people at the high end too. And if those two factors aren't enough, simply consider the fact that if someone's going to offer a feature, it should work properly. You can't hook a field mixer up to one of these cameras without being able to check that the link between the two is at the appropriate level. Right now the only way to do that is to patch up a monitor with SDI audio metering.

I can't believe anyone's making excuses for the lack of audio metering on these things, it's a huge omission.

I mostly use my BMD cameras in dual-system situations, because most of what I'm working on is scripted narrative films.

However, I also use them in situations where having on board sound is very convenient, and for those it's annoying to have to guess at the levels, and it would save setup time if I could just run the microphones to the camera, instead of requiring a mixer also.

I'm with you. I can't believe that anyone's making excuses for the lack of audio metering on these things either, it's not just a huge omission it's a reflection of a systematic contempt for sound at BMD. Their entire post workflow shows it; I can't even import the audio that I record on my field mixer into Resolve because it supports ONLY 48KHz audio, and that forces me to use other software in all of my post work, even for work that I would otherwise be able to do entirely in Resolve.

Every other editing application I have tried out so far supports high resolution and high sample rate audio, so for Resolve to be so broken in that regard is frustrating as well as contemptible.

Add to that the fact that it's been now three years and BMD still hasn't gotten meters figured out on their cameras, and the conclusion one comes to is that they just don't care about sound, any more than they care about their customers.

• 4 months later...

Once again, they added all featured requested by filmmakers to 4K camera and completely ignored 2.5K model forgetting that only because 2.5K were popular they were able to build 4K.

Personally my interest and respect to this company starts to dissolve.

• Premium Member

Firmware 1.9.3 is out today, it includes all the updates for ALL the cameras.

-VU meters

-Histogram

-MANY MORE shutter and calvin settings

-Full Prores modes

- COUNT DOWN counter! (huge unexpected bonus)

Can't wait to shoot with these updates, so happy! :)