Master Primes vs Cooke S5i (when speed is needed)

I'll be shooting on 2 perf (most likely an Arricam) and both I and the DoP have agreed that we'll need high speed lenses for the shoot.

Master Primes seem to be the go to lenses when high speed is needed. But they are so damn expensive! It would hurt our budget to go for them.

I'm wondering has anyone used the s5i lenses. Are they cheaper on rental? I know they can look great. I seen them in HUGO and I seen them used on 2 perf for the OLD BOY remake.

If you have used them please share your thoughts - pros and cons.

Thanks in advance.

I'd say they are about the same price. If you can't afford them you should look at either S4 or Ultra Primes which are color/contrast matched to the S5 and Master Primes respectively, the difference is not that huge, its barely one stop for the Ultras.

Your other option are the Zeiss super speeds, they are cheaper than both S4 and Ultras, but way way older, and have completely different characteristict. Not in a bad way, they make beautiful images, but more vintage especially when shot wide open. Ziess compact primes might also be a good choice.

Other than these there are a bunch of other brands making high speed lenses, like the luma tech illumines, but they drop of in quality pretty fast after the super speeds in my opinion.

Here's a good starting point for research:
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?94289-SALT-III-High-Speed-Lens-Shootout-quot-WFO-quot-Results

• Premium Member

I'm not sure how much stock you've got to purchase, but the cost difference between 2-perf and 3-perf could quite possible cover the additional cost of the Master Primes/S5is.

If you need the extra stop of exposure, perhaps look into the Illumina T1.3 lenses - they're a lot cheaper than MPs/S5i and I've seen some lovely samples from them on Vimeo.