Disassemble Projection Anamorphic Lens

• Premium Member

Well there's a lock ring there.. have you tried undoing it?

If it doesn't budge it can help to carefully run a solvent like acetone into the threads to soften any locking varnish that might have been used, and gentle heating with a hot air gun can also assist. Or there may be another lock ring on the inside, with the notched ring seen in the photo actually being a housing for the element, with notches to adjust the rotational position.

Be aware that on reassembly all the anamorphic elements need to be perfectly aligned with each other in terms of their squeeze horizon (rotational position), or the image turns to mush. Not a job for the faint-hearted, unless it's just a junk lens you're pulling apart for fun.

Thanks guys!

QUOTE:

Or there may be another lock ring on the inside, with the notched ring seen in the photo actually being a housing for the element, with notches to adjust the rotational position.

The photo is on the inside. The lens is on a kind of thread and over (on the inside) there's this strange ring (the one you see it in the photo) with two grooves I tried to force kindly with a screwdriver, but nothing. If acetone is not dangerous for the lens I could try with it. The problem is that the lens is 20cm long, so is difficult to arrive from the inside to the lens.

I want to reassemble the glasses out from the case for anamorphic shooting. The lens is a cheap one, but it's a lens from"fifties" and I think she deserves respect... :rolleyes:

Thanks Chris, I just discovered the Lens wrench. I don't know if it work in this case...

Edited by Francesco Glavina

• 2 weeks later...