Logmar S8 footage revealed!

Lasse Roedtnes

I must say I am STUNNED that SOMEONE has put this kind of effort into my beloved medium of Super-8! While I am VERY IMPRESSED with the steadiness and quality of the image you have achieved, I must say I am not happy with the scratches that appear to be on the camera original. I have never been into the "distressed" look that some Super-8 filmmakers are into, and have always strived for the cleanest look I can get from the medium. Are the scratches emanating from a fault in your transport design? I hope not! This is AMAZING! All the best with this new exciting development in Super-8.

• Upvote 1

The "scratches" will be just hairs and dust. They appear white in the digital copy (and might resemble scratches to the uninformed eye) insofar as the original film image, being negative, has been inverted to a positive during transfer to digital, ie. a procedure which also inverts the otherwise black appearance of any hairs and dust on the film.

C

In case there is any confusion, credit for the beautifully shot film belongs to Friedemann Wachsmuth. I wasn't involved in any way with the work. I too am in awe. With both the camera and the test shoot.

C

Edited by Carl Looper

Carl, not that I think it should be implemented this way in this product but one way of decreasing the pitch (and intensity) of a LED array is to use fibre optics. Each original LED feeds it's output into a fibre attached (glued/whatever) to the array they are then bunched up as close (and in whatever order/array) as you like at the other end, trick being the fibre diameter is much smaller than the original LED and of course it's nice and bendy for tight spaces also.

Re. registration, not sure how much reverse engineering can get you in terms of simple inspection - probably quite far with an enquiring mind - however, one thing to note is that projectors are optimised for one speed only. (?)

There is absolutely no space for this I think. Remember there is the claw and the registration pin already, beside the pressure plate. Both pins support high torque and operate with extreme precision, so their gudance is pretty solid. Also, there is the mirror system with the beam splitter closeby too...

However, since the claw is at the -2 position (ISO 1787-1984) like in any projector, actual registration pitch variance should not matter. This is als long as the scanner used uses the same sprocket hole for vertical registration (the LaserGraphics Scanstation does not). You are right Carl, horizontal registration is provided by film guides (with two spring loaded saddles to cover slitting tolerances).

Below attached is a photo of a beta-version of the claw/registration module. (This has still 3D-printed parts and differs from the final design which required changes to make film loading easier)

post-47833-0-99324800-1404223764_thumb.jpg

Meta data can be logged by the software onto the SD card, actually even as Excel file containing all settings, takes and timecodes. :)

It appears that Pro8mm will be demoing the Logmar in Burbank on July 15.

"Having trouble viewing this email? Click here

Company Logo
Meet the new Logmar Super 8 Film Camera
Pro8mm Open House July 15th
Interesting Image
After much anticipation Pro8mm is excited to be sharing with you that a new Super 8 Camera is entering the film market! Digital Viewfinder, 200' Load Capacity, Crystal Sync, Built-In High Quality Audio, and Pin-Registered movement are all features of this exciting new design.
The Logmar Super 8 Camera is the first new Super 8 film camera that has been designed from the ground up since the 1980's. Since 2009, two industry veterans from Denmark with mechanical and electronic design have been developing this exciting project. It is anticipated to be the most sophisticated Super 8 camera for the modern filmmaker.
Interesting Image
On Tuesday, July 15th, 2014 our friends at Logmar Camera Solutions will be visiting Pro8mm for a very special open house and camera demonstration. Stop by our Burbank facility to meet the fantastic team at Logmar Camera Solutions and be among the first customers in the world to see a live demonstration of the Logmar Super 8 Camera.
We’ll also be recording a live video demonstration for our out-of-area clients.
Interesting Image
Meet the New Logmar Super 8 Camera Open House!
When: Tuesday, July 15th , 2014
Time: 2pm to 6pm PST
Where: Pro8mm
2805 West Magnolia Blvd. Burbank, CA 91505
Ph: 818-848-5522
Hosted by: Pro8mm & Logmar Camera Solutions
RSVP for the OPEN HOUSE JULY 15
RSVP for the VIDEO DEMO
Interesting Image
Share:
Follow:
If you no longer wish to receive our emails, click the link below:
Unsubscribe
Pro8mm 2805 W. Magnolia Blvd. Burbank, California 91505 United States (818) 848-5522"

Hi Friedemann,

the proposal was to do it at an offset from the gate, in the same way that sound heads are built offset from gates. In other words there would be a second gate through which the film passes.

However, as we've previously discussed, it's really not necessary as the camera's pin registration (plus film edge registration) already provides perfect registration information. Scanners just need to make sure they use the film edge, as much as sprocket holes, to reconstruct registration.

C

Future video samples with close ups and other varying shots of people/models, even lighting up some locations, would provide useful examples of the potential detail quality of this camera. They'd be very helpful.

So far, it looks like it could replicate the late 70s/entire 80s film look, and maybe some modern lighting aesthetics could produce dynamic results.

It appears that Pro8mm will be demoing the Logmar in Burbank on July 15.

Good luck!

Makes one wonder though what will happen to the price of the camera. The originally posted price doesn't allow for these kind of happenings and expenses. How many could they possibly sell? 200? 500?

And resellers should sell at the same price as Logmar themselves? How could these resellers possibly make a workable profit on the sales?

Remarkable how the 200ft option has become part of the camera. Is there still production of spools? And is somebody filling these?

Remarkable how the 200ft option has become part of the camera. Is there still production of spools? And is somebody filling these?

Wittner does sell 200ft loads of Aviphot chrome, PXR50, Fomapan and AGFA Scala 200X: http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katalog/04_filmm/s8_meter.php

Hopefully Pro8mm does fill the color negative gap.

• Upvote 1

Wittner does sell 200ft loads of Aviphot chrome, PXR50, Fomapan and AGFA Scala 200X: http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katalog/04_filmm/s8_meter.php

Hopefully Pro8mm does fill the color negative gap.

These area all "auf Rohfilmkern (Bobby)" I.e. a core.

Not on 200ft spools. Wittner would need to restart their 200ft spooling department. And have spools manufactured.

And resellers should sell at the same price as Logmar themselves? How could these resellers possibly make a workable profit on the sales?

The manufacturer sells cameras to the retailer at a reduced price, the retailer sells at the manufacturer's suggested retail price, the difference is their profit. The retailers aren't in the business of just selling cameras, they're doing it because it's a way to drive customers to their establishment, where they will make other purchases - in this case, film stock, processing, etc.

The manufacturer sells cameras to the retailer at a reduced price, the retailer sells at the manufacturer's suggested retail price, the difference is their profit. The retailers aren't in the business of just selling cameras, they're doing it because it's a way to drive customers to their establishment, where they will make other purchases - in this case, film stock, processing, etc.

I am aware how things work.

Considering the rather low price it is a smallwonder they can produce and deliver without losing money. If they have to supply wholesale from that to some it seems to there will be no profit at all for Logmar. Hourly rates for skilled labour in Denmark aren't that low.

Considering the pricing philosophy of Wittner and Pro8mm on rebuilt cameras I expect the Logmar will need to sell at some $5000 They are no pricing low on gear to make a few dollars on films and services.

Edited by Andries Molenaar

• 3 weeks later...

$5000 is a reasonable price.

The high end Super8 cameras of the late seventies would be close to that figure in today's prices, (ie. relative to incomes, cost of living, etc) and the Logmar is better than those cameras.

Not that I'd want to encourage high prices!

Eventually the market will decide. But keep in mind it's a niche market. One can't compare it to the mass market for DSLR. Niche markets have their own particular logic.

Edited by Carl Looper
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...