Zoom Lenses Designed for S16 vs. Lenses Converted to S16

David Fitch

I've been checking out various PL mount zoom lenses to pair up with a S16 camera. A while back in another thread, someone posted this useful link which lists various zoom lenses as S16 safe, S16 convertable, and so on. Generally speaking, are lenses that were originally designed for S16 superior to those that have been converted to S16?

Specifically, I've looked at both the Zeiss 11-110 (designed for S16) and Zeiss 12-120 (formerly a 10-100 R16 converted to S16). While I'm not sure how equivalent these two lenses are in terms of overall quality, would the 11-110 generally be considered a better lens for S16, or could I expect equal quality from the 12-120?

Also, on the lower end of the price range, I noticed that there are a few older Angenieux lenses (like the 15-150) that happen to offer full S16 coverage. While the prices are lucrative, I've read that these older Angenieux lenses tend to be a little soft, especially for S16, and that their optics aren't optimized for S16. Just curious if anyone has any opinions on these lenses as well. Compared to newer lenses, are their optics, coatings, etc. just not up to par with newer lenses?

Thanks!

• Premium Member

Usually just newer is better, esp zooms which only really arrived in the 60s, and went through a steep evolution in the 70s and 80s. Coatings also evolved during that time.

The 15-150 is from the early 70s, quite different from say an 80s Canon zoom.

From what I've been told the converted 12-120 wasn't as good as the factory built 11-110. Zeiss converted Mk2 10-100s but it was a complete rebuild, not just the Abacus rear extender like on 12-120s.