Arriflex 16 SR1 Video Assist and Blimp Questions

T Sanders

HI There! I just got an Arriflex 16 SR1 (somewhat by accident) and I have a few questions. :)

The seller had "1 - Video Assist Optics" listed as one of the items that comes with the camera. I thought I knew what this meant. I thought it was a viewfinder piece that would allow you to hook up a camera to it. However when the camera arrived today, what it has looks like the standard Arriflex viewfinder (like the one in the manual). The seller sells a lot of these things and all of his listings say "1 - Video Assist Optics". This being my first time owning one, do I need to get something else other than just a small video camera to have some video assist action going on?

The seller is away until the 8th and I didn't ask before because I thought I understood what was what. :)

Here it is the camera I have.

SR1Front1.jpg

Next question, I bought this SR1 blimp today. Anyone ever seen/used one of these?

I couldn't find anything about it on the net. Just wanted to hear about any experiences with it.

Blimps1.jpg

Blimps2.jpg

Thanks!

• Premium Member

To attach a video assist camera you'd need a T-bar elbow (with a central partial prism or splitting mirror and arms going either side for video and eyepiece, sometimes the video arm bends up) rather than the J-bar you have (with only one arm on one side), which is just a normal viewfinder elbow.

Unless the camera's been modified with a window and prism under the handle like on later SRs, in which case you'd need a video split handle.

Never seen an SR blimp!

• Upvote 1

To attach a video assist camera you'd need a T-bar elbow (with a central partial prism or splitting mirror and arms going either side for video and eyepiece, sometimes the video arm bends up) rather than the J-bar you have (with only one arm on one side), which is just a normal viewfinder elbow.

Unless the camera's been modified with a window and prism under the handle like on later SRs, in which case you'd need a video split handle.

Never seen an SR blimp!

Thanks Dom! Hmmm I think I've seen what you're talking about (T-bar elbow). I'll check it out.

I searched online and couldn't find anything on an SR blimp either...so I guess I'll see when this one arrives. :)

UPS just tossed this 200lb blimp in front of my door (yep, heard it thud all the way in the back of my 4 bdrm house). It's a good thing it's built like a tank. :) With that having been said, it's FANTASTIC!

It's pretty heavy and all one piece pretty much. The body part pulls up on a hinge much like how the magazines load on the camera but it doesn't come off. Inside is a removable quick release type plate and 3 short cables that plug into the ports on the SR. Those route to the ports on the outside of the blimp for the power and accessories. The green button is the power button and there looks to be some kind of digital counter on the same side as the green button in the back end. There are a couple of more ports on the other side. The ports have slide over covers. The blimp inside is nicely padded and padded around the holes for the lens and viewfinder. I have to figure out how to get the viewfinder through it's opening. It looks tricky.

It also has that rail thing in front that detaches and some kind of lens holder I'm assuming. I don't really know what that thing is.

Well, that's it. This thing is sweet and I'm glad I bought it. I seem to keep getting lucky with the blimps (got one for cheap for the Bolex too).

Here is the SR1 blimp, with my SR1 in it. I plugged everything in and it appears to work fine. The viewfinder question was easy to solve. There is a side piece that slides right out. You push the SR1 in and then put the side piece back in. There is also another solid slide out on the other side for a video assist or if you are using the viewfinder on the opposite side. This blimp is awesome! Can't hear this camera at all when it's locked down.

I do have to ask the seller a few more questions. The green button doesn't turn the camera on and off it appears to operate a red blinking light in the back that I can only assume is a sync light. The digital readout appears to list the speed you are running the camera at on the bottom but I'd like to know what the top numbers are. I'm also wondering if there is an accessory I'm supposed to buy to turn the camera on and off from one of those ports on the side of the blimp. As it stands now, I have to turn the camera on and then close the blimp.

SR1Blimp1.jpg

SR1Blimp3.jpg

SR1Blimp7.jpg

SR1Blimp8.jpg