New in town

Yun Kim

Hey everyone! I've been in LA two weeks now, and enjoying the lovely weather, great food, and beautiful landscapes (coming from Boston). I wasn't sure where I could connect with other filmmakers, then stumbled upon this forum. Any advice, thoughts, recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Love being here.

Here is a recent video I shot during a trip to Korea just before the cross country move:

https://vimeo.com/88462800

best,

Yun

• Premium Member

Go out to CineGear in June (i think?) and any other networking events you can. Small film fests, screenings, ect. Keep looking for gigs and you'll slowly meet people. Also there are numerous FB groups for filmmakers, a lot of them indie ect, where you can talk to people, find some gigs on occasion, ect. Also Stage32 has people specifically in film in the area.

Also also, you'll start to miss the east coast beer pretty soon. That is a sad day.

• Upvote 2

• Premium Member

I do indeed owe Mr Irwin lunch and I'd be pleased to make good on that at some point when I'm there.

Adrian, I'm a coffee guy, but I'll buy any amount of beer if you'll let me put your B4 lens on your pocket cinema camera. Want to play with that combo.

• Premium Member

I do indeed owe Mr Irwin lunch and I'd be pleased to make good on that at some point when I'm there.

Ha Ha! Phil, you owe me nothing. But it would be great to have lunch with you. Adrian can join us as well!

G

• Premium Member

Not to tread on the original poster, but I'm in LA from the evening of Thursday, April 10 until the following Thursday, April 18. I have a few things booked, but I'm likely to have a day free over the weekend of 12-13, or later in the week.

P

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Not to tread on the original poster, but I'm in LA from the evening of Thursday, April 10 until the following Thursday, April 18. I have a few things booked, but I'm likely to have a day free over the weekend of 12-13, or later in the week.

P

Sorry I missed you Phil (and Adrian). Just read your post. Next time Ok?

G

Bah by the time I next leave my hovel and see people my hair will return.

You lost your hair somewhere?!!

Also, A Float, great call! Went over there day before last.

Sushi? or do you mean LA Float the famous place for flotation tanks?

Freya

These meet ups never seem to work out. Everyone has the best intentions but life happens and it is kind of sad really.

It's not sad at all! You just need the right moment for everything to be in sync and then the magic can happen! :)

Freya

• Premium Member

It's a little sushi bar in Pasadena where instead of a conveyor belt, there's a little river and the food floats around on a chain of miniature boats.

Which, on reflection, is probably more than a little bit gimmicky.

P

• Upvote 2

It's a little sushi bar in Pasadena where instead of a conveyor belt, there's a little river and the food floats around on a chain of miniature boats.

P

Wow! that sounds GREAT! Are the prices good or do they have expensive plumbing bills to cover?

Hmmmmm Suuushi! :)

Freya

• Premium Member

It wasn't all that bad price wise and yeah, it's a gimmick, but it's a good once. The Sea Urchin was fantastic-- but truthfully nothing can disappoint with a nice big Sapporo. I think for all that it was like $35 including a nice little cake.

• Premium Member

These meet ups never seem to work out. Everyone has the best intentions but life happens and it is kind of sad really.

We actually had a great get together in New York a few years ago. We had a blast. Like Freya said, the timing has to be right. With all of our travel schedules it's hard enough to just see family!

G

• Upvote 1