my website

mmonte000

If you have an opportunity, I would highly recommend shooting some footage for your reel with a distinctive look. Your reel doesn't need to be as long as it is, but you want everything on there to really punch. I found that most of the material felt like it was a similar flavor. Often when people are looking for a DP they have a look in mind and they'll be hunting for someone who has that look on their reel. I know they should be smarter, but that's the way it is. So having a few very distinct looks - even if your copying stylistically is more likely to get you work. Meanwhile, start developing your own lighting theory that gives anything you shoot your own personal flair. I didn't feel that the shots were often adding to the drama as much as covering the action. Some people like that, but most people these days are looking for "flare." (Kaufman reference)

You know, you've got a lot of decent material, but it seems like there's no real "system" to how it's organized on the reel. It's just a shot of people, then a logo, then more people, etc. What I like to see is highlights from each project, put those together, then put your projects back to back. I feel liked the reel kind of repeated itself about 3 times, I saw the same pieces over and over again.

Also, I think it was a strange choice of music, one was green day, and the other was Beethoven.

Overall, good job, good luck with school!

my tips:

cut out half the reel, anything that doesn't look super pro.

start with the girl putting her pants on (sex sells).

i would change the music.

resize the placeholder you have for your quicktime reel, to allow for the player that is currently being cropped (vertically).

just my thoughts...some really nice shots you should be proud of your work.

jk :ph34r: