Cinevate Atlas 200 or MYT Large Slider?

Mark Kenfield

• Premium Member

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a heavy-duty 5' slider, it's gotta be solid, smooth and quick to set up. I'd also want to be able to mount my Cinevate Axis Jib (100mm bowl) to it for sliding crane moves.

I've narrowed things down to the 60" Cinevate Atlas 200 (supports up to 200lbs) and the 5' MYT Works Large Slider (supports up to 250lbs). Both are obviously very solid units, the Cinevate is a little simpler (mounts straight onto combo stands), the MYT offers a little more flexibility (removable high-hat). Priced up with cases, the Cinevate comes to around $3000 and the MYT to around $3500.

I'm wondering people's thoughts on the two units, and what they'd recommend and why?

Also if anyone knows of other sliders in a similar price/performance bracket, I'd love to hear about them.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark.

I always carry a couple of sliders on movies, but rarely use them. On Wes' movies, absolutely not. But they can be very useful in certain situations. Some DoP's I have worked with like Robert Richardson, like a lot of dance floor built, but no slider. Sliders as over keepers are more frequently used on television shows I think.

I use the Chapman Slider and the Ronford Baker slider. The Chapman one is outstanding, but way too expensive to buy.

Hope you enjoy The Grand Budapest Hotel ... it was a fun, hard movie to make :-)

I forgot, i know a DP who has the MYT slider. He has the wooden handles for it and it looks very steampunk and clients/talent often commented on it looking cool, so thats the way to go to pique a wanky hipster DPs interest..

Three grand is ridiculously expensive for 2 bits of metal and some skateboard wheels. Surely a gripshop will custom make you one cheaper than that?

I cant remember if you have one, but the most profitable camera gear you can get is a wally dolly. Small shows are forever hiring them but few one man band vans have them. I think youd use that a lot more than a slider.

• Premium Member

Cheers Sanjay!

Andrew, since I'm booked solid for the next few months with just DP work, I'm in the fortunate position that the only wanker I have to impress for the moment is myself. And although I'm a bit of a knob, at least I can sleep well at night knowing I'm not a hipster!

Back on topic though, I'm really, really, not too fond of the Wally Dolly (probably because every time that's the only dolly production's budget can stretch to - I won't have a real grip on hand to help me, at which point any kind of camera movement becomes a hassle). So my preference lies pretty strongly with sliders (or, luxury-of-luxuries, an actual dolly and dolly grip when production actually has a budget).

I certainly won't be spending three grand on a Dana Dolly type skateboard-wheel setup - though I did have a (potentially stupid) idea of getting (or building) something like the Dana Dolly, but having the ability to attach a larger wood or metal platform on top of it, so that I can plonk the thing on the ground and mount a tripod on top for Wally Dolly-esque moves without the levelling issues the Wally Dolly often presents. Though I fear the rails may simply be too close together for stable moves when a camera is mounted significantly higher than it would usually be.

I really do like the idea of just being able to plonk the MYT Works or Cinevate directly on top of two Low Boys, screw in the fluid head and be off and running - it's just so much faster than any other option.

Decisions, decisions...

Again i dont get what jobs youre doing where a wally dolly wouldnt be most efficient. Arent you mostly interiors of houses and want to do 3ft moves?

Wally dolly is quickest version of that.

But like i said, when youre a big time gaffer again, the steampunk slider will definetly impress hack dps.

You can make one pretty easy. Before sliders here grips used to make up very cheap Dana Dolly style sliders a lot. Over or undersling on baby 069s with scaff pipe and you can do anything. Better than a slider with fixed length too. More flexible than a wallydolly as you can go over benches etc.

But i cant remember ever using a slider where a wally dolly wouldnt have been better. On small shows. Maybe if youre a dp with your own gear youd use it just cause you have it though.

You should make contact with a grip shop and get your gear custom made.