Given These Options, Which S16 Zoom Lens Would You Buy?

Hi everyone.

I've been in the market for a PL mount zoom lens to go with my new (to me) SR3. I have a number of decent offers and options, so I thought I'd offer the question up to all of the experts here and ask which you would choose, given the following options...

• Zeiss 11-110 for $2300 (mechanically and optically in good shape, cosmetically in decent-fair condition)
  • Canon 11.5 - 138 for $2500 (mechanically, optically, and cosmetically in good shape)
  • Canon 11 - 165 for $3000 (mechanically, optically, and cosmetically in good shape)
  • Angenieux 11.5 - 138 for $2600 (mechanically and optically in good shape, cosmetically in excellent shape)

I know everyone has their own criteria for making a decision like this, so given the options I've presented and assuming that all of the lenses offered are mechanically and optically sound, I'm just curious which option you would choose, and the reasoning behind your decision. Also, any information on the weight of one lens vs. the other would be great, or thoughts on whether some of the lenses might fare better than others for extended handheld filming.

Thanks!

Hi David,

I'd go with either of Canons. Zeiss breathes a lot, and Angie has a big front element, so you'd need bigger matte box and filters. (something about 110mm I think)

Canons have 95mm diameter and you can use 4x4" filters, which are cheaper.

Regarding optical quality, I've used Zeiss and it's really bad wide open, so you can use it f4 upwards. Angie I haven't used.

And I own Canon 7-63mm which is really a great lens, so I can recommend Canons.

The 11-165 is newer version, but some folks says the long end is not so sharp.