Zeiss Contax for cinema

Curious about these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ver-Ex-Modified-Contax-Zeiss-Distagon-50mm-1-4-For-PL-Mount-Arri-Red-/261321787197?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3cd7fe073d

Apparently Contax were designed for still photography but the glass seems to be quite good for motion too.

What I have a little trouble with is the wide range in cost of lenses that seem fairly comparable.

Why some Zeiss lenses are a couple o' grand, and others are over 10 grand is odd.

I'm not referring to a new Master Prime vs. an older used lens. That makes more sense. I'm thinking more older standard speed vs. older standard speed.

• Premium Member

You're probably looking at Soviet Zeiss -v- West Germany Zeiss. They were not the same company during the cold war, and while some lenses may be marked "Super speed" the Contax and the Jenas are not the same as a MKIII SuperSpeed-- not even the same company (though that doesn't necessarily mean they're bad lenses, but they often get a markup from the zeiss name. I personally like many of the old Lomo lenses, which you can convert to PL mount if needed).

Contax Zeiss lenses are quality glass. For lots of info on them... take a look at this discussion: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?92044-Contax-Zeiss-Survival-Guide

I have myself bought some Contax Zeiss lenses for my 16mm Eclair ACL. Mine aren't rehoused though, instead I use them with a C/Y to C-mount adaptor.

But Adrian is correct. There is no way to know who did the rehousing and was it done correctly. You could, however, buy some Contax Zeiss in original C/Y mount and have it cinemodded/rehoused. You wouldn't be the first.

The good thing about Contax Zeiss is that because it was made for SLR, it will cover not only S35 but also sensor sizes larger than that.