Metabones Pocket + Sigma 18-35 alternative?

Hows it going all, I'm an indie fellow interested in the one lens kit scenario for my Pocket as I travel. My SLR Magic 12mm is amazing but is essentially a 35mm...

The 18-35mm is a little out of my budget paired with the Speedbooster. I wonder if someone could suggest an alternative decent compatible Zoom around $500? It doesn't have to be THE best.

• Premium Member

Tonika 11~16?

Sigma 8~16.

Normally, when I pull out my pocket, and I don't use zooms really, my lens kit will be a 9.5,12, 16, 25, 50. Of that I'll use the 12/16 the most personally, but it depends on what you're looking for-- which seems to be on the wider side.

I'd attempt to get the Speedbooster if at all possible. I just finished shooting a short with that and the Nikon 16-35 and 17-35, and you couldn't ask for a better wide-end zoom to use for all your wides/mediums. The speedbooster is a long-term investment that will pay off really quickly in how much it improves your shooting. So if you want to spend around $500, maybe you could look into the Speedbooster and a vintage Nikon zoom. I'm ACing on a feature right now, and we're using old Nikon primes on the BMCC, and it's absolutely beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I just finished a project with the BMPCC, the Speed Booster and my Nikon 17-35. Amazing combination. Also shot with the Nikon 50mm 1.4 with amazing results on closeups. Other than the lack of runtime indicators or remaining time, I found it to be a great option for run-n-gun type shooting. Speed Booster makes this camera useful.

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend using the extra light not to shoot with less lights, but as an opportunity to stop down or take your ASA down. Light so you can stop down a bit, I really like the 16mm feel it gives when it's got a deeper DOF, and the better contrast control I can get from 200 ASA. Cropping down to 2.35 on the wide end in particular will make it feel very anamorphic, and you can compose very deep frames with the infinity focus the 17mm gives you, with lots of action to transition spaces.

Also, focus on that tiny screen is a bitch, so I try to ease my suffering.

The focus assist/peaking is WAY better on the Pocket than on the BMCC. I personally find the loupe style viewfinders a complete impossibility to use. When do you ever stick your face right there? It's not practical for use on a tripod, and it's only in the right place for handheld if the camera's in the wrong place for handheld. I've sworn off viewfinders until I can buy a good EVF and put it in the right spot. Also, the Pocket's screen is so low resolution, you're just magnifying pixels, so using the loupe won't help with focus too much.

Also, let it be known that I totally came up with RedRock's trigger handle and loupe idea. I wish I had the production resources, I would have made a prototype myself.

• 3 months later...

Get the RJ Lens Turbo instead, will save you a bundle. You can purchase it here and read the reviews:
http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/9086/rj-lens-turbo-m43-adapters/p1

Then for a cheaper alternative to the Sigma, get the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 which is a bit slower but a longer ranger and much cheaper.

If you want wide, get the Tokina 11-16mmm f/2.8 instead.