Letus Anamorphic X Adapter

Hi everybody, hope you're all well out there.

Some of the stuff shot on it looks quite nice:

But wondering how practical it is to shoot with?

Has anyone had any experience with it, seen its pros and cons? I don't believe there any here in the UK yet so I'd quite like to get peoples feedback on it.

Cheers,

Andy

I thought for sure I'd be buying one when it was first announced, but the tests and the manner it's been released and general lack of information has given me great pause. In fact I came here looking to see if anyone had mentioned it on this forum!!! Turns out that 'flight patterns' video is one I haven't seen. How did you find it? I search twitter, vimeo and several forums, daily. Looks like one of the better things I've seen with it (I find it difficult to tell on Proximity for some reason), but seems to have a lot of the issues I'd suffer on my LA7200. Still no silver bullet saying 'buy this over the SLR Magic or diopters on the LA7200' to my eyes, though I am looking for it!!!

If Stuart is anything like me, dual-focus is a deal breaker. It boils down to this: no matter how pretty a given still might be, not your favorite anamorphic feature, not your least favorite anamorphic feature and none inbetween could have been shot as-shot with a dual focus anamorphic.

If Stuart is anything like me, dual-focus is a deal breaker. It boils down to this: no matter how pretty a given still might be, not your favorite anamorphic feature, not your least favorite anamorphic feature and none inbetween could have been shot as-shot with a dual focus anamorphic.

Hi Stuart, I'm not sure I follow what you are saying, your sentence construction is brilliantly complex! ;)

Andy, I think Sean's post basically boils down to: "dual-focus is a pain in the arse".

More than that though. Only a few moments into any film you care to select at any random spot you care to pick will quickly present you with a shot that would be impossible to do with a dual-focus system. Going dual-focus immediately makes that lens the center of the universe and it informs what you can and cannot do with the camera now. It also imposes a more restrictive kind of performance on your actors. My point is, it's not simply an aesthetic decision to be taken lightly. Most films are more than just the sum of their close-ups and insert shots, aren't they?

Edited by Sean Cunningham

• 3 weeks later...