AJA Video 4k camera - Cion

Brian Drysdale

• Site Sponsor

Too bad they didn't use SxS cards and be able to shoot 120fps ProRes4444 like a camera I seem to be used to.... and save the super expensive Codex cards... oh uh I mean Cion cards for RAW.

Out of all the NAB new cams it did look the most interesting but I think the external recording and the proprietary media and no 120fps internal puts it into a odd spot in the market.

• Premium Member

Couldn't agree more. The proprietary media, to me, makes it an obvious choice to slap an external recorder on it. With many recorders you'd save money after the first two cards (and saving money isn't the only reason to avoid vendor lockin flash). This makes it a weird value proposition.

It's still cheaper than a Sony F5 with the same amount of media, batteries and accessories. Or a Red Scarlet. Or even an FS700/Odyssey combo. The tradeoff for now appears to be higher frame rates and RAW but both of these are likely additions down the line. The Shogun may work.

I've no doubt that the phone calls AJA will get from Convergent, Atomos, etc. will likely get AJA thinking of how to provide those features themselves that their competitors are offering in 3rd party recorders. The Shogun and Odyssey are competitors to the Kipro. Unless AJA comes out with something new soon The Kipro will seem out of date especially if it can't do what other recorders can do with their own camera.

Edited by Michael LaVoie

• Premium Member

Well, if it genuinely is in that arena, then that'll be great. The same sensor in the Blackmagic 4K camera certainly isn't in F55 territory, or probably not even F5 territory, but better support electronics might quite legitimately make all the difference. They would have to make quite a significant difference, frankly, for it to compete in the F5/C500 arena. Though it's considerably cheaper than them, so perhaps we shouldn't expect direct competiton.

I collared the chief technical guy at NAB and berated him quite severely about putting HD windowing into it, so it can be used in an ENG format too. Here's hoping.

P

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The Cion Manual for v1.1 says:

"CION also offers the ability to output raw sensor data via the SDI 1-4 Main Output connections or the Thunderbolt connection.

NOTE: Raw output is dependent upon specific CONFIG menu parameter selections.
AJA's Corvid Ultra hardware and TruZoom software may be used to record the 4K or UltraHD SDI raw output from CION up to and including 120Hz."