Advice on how to find student filmmaker(s) to work with

I hope I came to the right place, I've been searching with Google trying to answer this question.

I have an idea for a documentary I'd like to produce (with a limited budget).

I have a basic idea and structure for it, and I would be doing some of the narrative work, writing, and possibly some of the interviews, but I lack skills in filming, editing and sound, and I don't have the time/budget to go out and learn and buy everything.

It's not really a money making idea, but the topic is one that would make, in my opinion, a good documentary, and I think the length and quality could be flexible.

My thought was that if I could come up with a good idea, be willing to work on script and setting up interviews, and supplying some money, etc., that perhaps a student (or team) would be willing to work on the project for school or getting experience, etc.

Am I asking too much?

Is this ever done?

And if so, where to start looking, asking and so forth?

Thanks.

I live in Orange County California.

• Premium Member

I started out by working for free and networking at a local studio where I was an intern. I would loved to have worked on a doc or feature for free for my first few gigs. If you get a student who is driven and dedicated, then it should work out.

Contact the local film school, and see if there's anybody there willing to work for training.