Advice on Selling a Lens and Getting the Best Price I Can

Hey All,

Have any of you sold lenses? I'm looking to sell one of mine. I've upgraded to a new zoom for my S16, and I'm looking to sell my Canon 14-84 1:2.0. It has a universal mount, so it can readily adapt to a number of other mounts including PL with a simple slide on adapter and a shim for proper backfocus. I just don't know how to value it. I've found no comparable lenses sold on ebay to compare to, and prices are all over the place depending on brand, vintage, speed, focal range and of course, mount type. The camera tech who serviced my lens late last year said he'd sell for $2500, and wouldn't ask any lower than $1800. But that seems a bit steep given today's market, but maybe I'm wrong. I want to be realistic, yet I don't wanna shortchange myself either.

Also, I'm confronted with a choice. My lens, since it has a universal mount, makes it pretty versatile as far as adapting goes. But I've noted on ebay, researching past listings for S16 lenses, that PL mount lenses sell the best. Does it make sense to invest in a PL mount adapter to enhance its appeal and saleability? Or is it enough to market it as a universal mount that can be readily adapted to a host of mount types?

I would really appreciate your thoughts and advice!

Best Wishes,

BR