No more Kodak Black Leader for negative cutting

• Premium Member

Well, on that note, I am in-development for a new short which I would also edit on my Steenbeck. I anticipate it being somewhere around 10 minutes long, but I have absolutely no idea what that means in terms of the amount of black leader I would need for the negative conforming.

Can anyone give me an approximate number?

• Premium Member

Simple. In case you conform in two bands, A-B, you have the entire length, 360 feet for example, of original, arranged in alternation with spacer of the same length. You will need 360 feet of black leader, net. Imagine you edit the original in one band and leader parallel to it as the other band.

In case that there’s a faint chance of 16-mm. printing to be done in Europe, perhaps near the Alps, I could manage to reinstall my step contact printer with the Memochrome light control. 50 lights R-G-B for up to 32,000 frames in a row can be programmed (Excel or similar file) with absolute freedom, that is you can have for example 32-14-49, 0-0-0, 22-20-25, anything at will. No black spacing needed anymore

Positioning of the films according to DIN ISO 69 at the distance of the third perforation down from optical axis

If you please refer to Dixi-700 and Memochrome, I’d gladly make offers. I start at Fr. 1.28 per foot for the first answer print sans sound negative, Fr. —.98 for correction prints, and Fr. —.84 for single prints both black and white and color.

Memochrome is available to the industry as a complete step printer light conversion kit. Included are light source, circuitry, control unit, and software on DVD. A computer will be needed that is best used for this purpose only, having everything unnecessary switched off. A given program can be repeated instantly for serial printing. Exact on the frame, very good stability of the red, green, and blue colours, very accurate amounts of light, repeatedly, at any frame rate between 1 and 25 per second

We made duplicates and prints with the Dixi-700 and Memochrome first in 2007 and until 2008 when I had to close my lab.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Yes you will need 360ft of black leader, which of course I have in stock, re the printing all my 16mm A & B printing is done by Dejonghe Post Production in Kortrijk Belgium, they are printing 16mm every week and can handle, fades and mixes etc, they also can make titles on to 16mm negative and will also make optical sound tracks from lots of sources.. No I am not on 10%. :rolleyes:

DCP_2339.jpg

• Premium Member

Steve,

An off-topic question: I was told that Dejonghe Post Production used to come to London once every few weeks on Eurostar to pick up film for processing and then hand carry the processed reels back. This apparently worked well and all you had to do was turn up at St Pancras and hand your films over.

Is this true and if so did it work well and do they still do it?

My daughter Kaat comes to London quite often, but right now she is in Tel-Aviv. We can arrange Fedex pickup from your house if necessary. Just give us a call and they will come to pickup later in the day. We get daily shipments from all over the globe and Fedex is the best courrier we can imagine.

• 2 weeks later...

This same issue has been discussed amongst the movie archive community recently, and a couple more suppliers of black leader have surfaced.

The first is Larry Urbanski - http://www.urbanskifilm.com/ [Please note, the Urbanski black leader is intended for projection use only.]

Black leader suitable for conforming and editing camera original is custom made by Cinema Arts Inc., Newfoundland, PA 18445 -

cinemaarts@gmail.com or via phone at 570-676-4145. This company is a full service 16MM / 35MM color/black & white "back end" motion picture lab.
["Back end" meaning they do not process camera negative or run dailies, but do everything after the dailies in analog, film to film format.]

• 2 weeks later...

I have a crazy idea and I'm just going to throw it out there.

What if you process 5363/7363 unexposed? Will that give you a sufficient black leader for negative cutting?

Its a really cheap acetate print film stock. I could see this being very cost efficient

Edited by Jon Taala

Black acetate leader for negative cutting needs two essential properties:

1. It needs to be very black. Kodak leader is dyed in the mass, scratches will not show.

2. The perforations need to be short pitch.

Kodak is best, no processing needed, very good perforation pitch, not sensitive to handling. If unavailable Orwo stock is made specially for black leader, needs exposing and processing, more expensive and sensitive to handling scratches.