Cheap pl lenses in the UK?

Matthew Kerins

Hi Matthew,

This is a very general question...do you need a full camera package or just lenses? do you need old glass, new glass, ultra sharp, small size lenses? Do you need any other kind of equipment on top, like lights? (some companies offer package deals), Also and probably the most important for how long do you need it for?

I think you should make some sort of budget first, it really helps. Usually a rental house will try to help you out if you give them a budget and a time frame.

I might could help you further with finding PL lenses in London, but those are basic questions that need to be answered first. feel free to PM me.

• Premium Member

It is a pitty you can't or they don't PL the Rokinon/Samyang Cine lenses. Would be a nice cheap thing to get with a package for the more simplistic shoots.

I suppose the cheapest PL lens you could probably find would be one of the cine-vized Tonika/Sigma lenses. Ducolos does it here, PLs them ect, and I believe GL Optics does a lot of work for lenses as well and I am sure some of them have made their way across the ponds by now (though GL is actually out of china).

• Premium Member
Would be a nice cheap thing to get with a package for the more simplistic shoots.

In my world, Samyang would be the height of luxury!

Isn't there some sort of adapter from the shorter DSLR mounts to PL?

In my world, Samyang would be the height of luxury!

Isn't there some sort of adapter from the shorter DSLR mounts to PL?

Almost all lens mounts are shallower than PL so you can't adapt lenses to PL easily.

There are some M42 adapters around but they either don't do infinity or they only work with that Helios lens (and even then only with some filing!)

Freya

• Premium Member

you can use T-mount lenses with an PL adapter without any modifications. but all the available T-mount lenses are usually the really old and crappy low-end still lenses from 50's or 60's. some tele lenses may be usable, though.

I believe you could find PL-converted spherical Lomos in London, they are usually very affordable to rent and optically are quite comparable to Zeiss standard speeds though warmer in look

• Premium Member

Almost all lens mounts are shallower than PL so you can't adapt lenses to PL easily.

There are some M42 adapters around but they either don't do infinity or they only work with that Helios lens (and even then only with some filing!)

Freya

Yes, most of the still lenses need modifications at least to the iris mechanics (for example, old Nikkor lenses would need a complete removal of the iris ring and also some modifications to the barrel. you would need to fit that silver-colored part near the focus scale INSIDE the PL mount which is not possible without re-engineering and machining about half of the lens :angry: )

If you are using digital camera, you could probably get an EF mount to it which enables mounting about half of the existing still photography lenses with simple adapters

Hi Matthew,

This is a very general question...do you need a full camera package or just lenses? do you need old glass, new glass, ultra sharp, small size lenses? Do you need any other kind of equipment on top, like lights? (some companies offer package deals), Also and probably the most important for how long do you need it for?

I think you should make some sort of budget first, it really helps. Usually a rental house will try to help you out if you give them a budget and a time frame.

I might could help you further with finding PL lenses in London, but those are basic questions that need to be answered first. feel free to PM me.

I can't edit or delete my post from some reason, I read the question quickly and missed the fact that Matthew is talking about buying PL Lenses, I guess Cheap and PL just don't go together in my mind and I really feel it's better to rent good glass then buy crap one.

Having Said that, GL Optics have some interesting PL options and there is also All Star. In the UK you have truelens that make the amazing Morpheus 80-200.

There are also a some old Cooke floating around for sale in the UK, you should call rental houses like Aim Image and ask what they have for sale.

I guess if you gave us a budget and what kind of focal range you're looking it would be easier to help.

• Premium Member

If the budget is tight you could consider buing the PL converted Lomos, they can be bought at about the same prices than the new Samyangs. just make sure you'll have the OCT-19 versions of the lenses adapted to the PL, some ebay sellers have also oct-18 versions available with simple add-on adapters but they don't have proper focusing (zooms are an exception, they are very usable with simple adapters)

If you'd like to take the Lomo route I'd recommend contacting Raf or Olex about the set, they can arrange you proper conversions and ensure that the mechanics are OK