What mic to get so I can stay run and gun with BMCC

Reggie Miller

So I am still very new to film making. Last year the only camera I had was a GoPro and I decided that I wanted to do CInematography for the rest of my life so I decided to skip DSLRs and by a blackmagic cinema camera. I have spent the past 4 months learning how to film and colorgrade and I finally feel ready to start getting audio but I have no idea what to mics and audio equipement to buy?

Does anybody know what mics I should get if I want to get good audio and keep the camera run and gun. I'm in college and I film by myself so I want to be able to just throw all the gear in my backpack show up at location and be ready to shoot in 2-5 minutes. My budget for audio is $500-$600.

As far as I know, the BMCC has pretty horrible internal audio, so you'd most likely need to record externally to something like a Zoom H4N or Tascam DR-40.

I don't know the kind of stuff that you'd be filming, but as far as mics, you'll probably at least want a decent shotgun, which you can boom or mount to the camera. The Rode NTG-2 is a pretty good budget shotgun. Wireless lavs come in handy too, but anything under $500 is probably junk.

Regardless of what gear you have, you should never treat sound as an afterthought and realize that it's very difficult to focus on both cinematography and sound at the same time, although as someone who shoots a lot of low budget documentaries, I often have to record both sound and picture.

• Premium Member

I would highly recommend the AT4053b mic. It isn't a "shotgun" mic but a hyper. Contrary to the belief of many, shotguns are not optimal in interiors and do poorer in interiors than a good hyper does in exterior. Not to mention, the AT 4053b is extremely light (weighs about 5 oz.) making it very portable for on the go type stuff.

The NTG-2 will not come close to performing like an AT 4053b. Just sayin.

Edit: I picked up my AT 4053b from Guitar Center and had it ordered straight from Audio-Technica for $450 so that should be within your budget.

• Upvote 1