Am i Missing any film buying options in the UK?

Hi,

2 years ago i used to be able to order any quantity of film from Kodak UK whenever i wanted and get free postage. I also used to be able to pop into a shop called Stanleys on Wardour street London and pick and choose film stock over the counter and they always seemed to have it in stock. That shops moved from Wardour street and isn't doing film anymore in its new location and Obviously Kodak's hit hard times and had to economise in lots of areas and have pulled stocks and services that were not economical for them. Anyhow no moaning at Big Yellow on this thread please. Things are as they are for them and us.

Other choices that aren't really choices:-

There is the Widescreen Centre in London who stock 16mm but have always been prohibitively expensive and probably won’t have any off the shelf and have to order it in. I've looked on ebay for 6 months and although 16mm Kodak film does come up for sale its usually ancient Kodakchrome and Ektachrome using processes long expired and be perforated both side. I've never seen any Vision 50D come up or instance.

So back to Kodak:-

This year like last year they require a £400 minimum order before VAT of 20% is applied and the price of a 400ft can of 16mm colour neg is still £108.80 and a 100ft spool is £31.30. So prices haven't increased for past 2 years and if i do pass there minimum order threshold they don’t charge for posting. They also don't need an order from me of same size every few months or an account opening as suggested by someone called Jeremy on another thread to be able to keep ordering in the future.

Last year when i needed a small top up of stock and finding Stanleys not available and Kodak now needing me to order too much than I’d be able to shoot in one year and not wanting my fridge to be half frozen pizza and half Kodak film :) i went to speak with Arri Media who sold me stock from Kodak -15% discount + £40 small order fee and £10 postage.

Take 2 Film and TV in Acton also can order from Kodak at same kind of price scales, so makes sence to do a bulk order from Kodak which i can do now but is there really not one single reseller of Kodak 16mm stock in the UK that will cater to small orders without small order charges to help smaller scale filmmakers out?

To help filmmakers who cannot afford as i can once a year to pay £500 (or $843 for any Yanks reading this) which gets me around 1400ft of film. Is there any other option I’m not aware of? I don't want to use rescans or short ends.

It’s interesting to read on Kodak's US Website that there is a shoot saver hotline where US Citizens can order film as and when. I'd love to know how the prices compare to what we are paying in the UK and if they have a minimum order charge.

Best Regards

Gareth North
www.bolexh16user.net

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for the tip on frame24. I did hear of the Ex Fujifilm lady setting up her own shop to sell stock I thought at a different address. I thought once she'd sold it all that'd be it! But Looks like she's diversifying into Kodak and she has Some 250D Yay! No 50D though but looks like she's up for being contacted for other stock so I'll give em a call next week.

Thanks Geoff but I know what nowhere offers which tends to be all Black and White based where 16mm is concerned.

Anything else I might of missed anyone? Or is this really the extent of purchasing options available. I suspect it might be.

Best Regards

You can also order ORWO stock (both UN54 and 74) through FilmoTec's British Agent, Tom Samuels. His email address for enquiries and orders is "tomsamuels@ntlworld.com". He is a most helpful and charming man to talk with, and orders are handled most efficiently.

• Premium Member

Gareth,

I might be the 'Jeremy' you referred to above, thanks for correcting my information, it was based on a conversation last year with the Kodak rep when I was asking about opening an account with them and his reply was "£400 minimum order" so perhaps he and I miss-communicated. Its good to know, at least that I don't have to open an account but it does seem like pushing water uphill when dealing with Kodak in the UK compared with what other posters say about Kodak US, ironic now that Kodak is British owned.

I can echo the others here about Frame 24, I have bought Fuji stock off them and found them very easy to deal with. I'm not sure if the Kodak 16 mm stock they are offering is new or being sold on unused from film projects but they seem to be determined to continue to make film available to as wide a range of people as possible.

• 5 weeks later...

Frame24 seem like the last bastion of film, I wish I could get stuff at their prices years ago!

I believe you might also have luck with Panavision - Elliot in the Panastore may be able to help, as they do have an account with Kodak I am sure.