Short I DP'd

• Premium Member

Interesting. I liked the night shots in the car best. When they are driving to the back-alley, was that all ambient light? I've noticed the Canons seem to excel under those conditions.

The best scene in the entire thing was when the drug dealer recounts the story from his childhood. That screamed out for a slow dolly-in! Yes, I know...I'm sure the budget wouldn't allow for it. Just letting you know that it would have been appropriate - that was the most meaningful piece of dialogue in the film since it allows us to begin to get to the core of the character. The camera work should always reflect that. By the way, how was that lit? Looked nice.

The main thing I would work on is your composition. At the dinner table when his father is making his speech, I wanted to see the son's soft-focus reaction but he was only partially in frame. That would've been a nice subtlety. Take a look at some works by Sven Nykvist, Gordon Willis, Conrad Hall, Vittorio Storaro & Stanley Kubrick - all masters of composition (amongst other things.)

You should treat the frame like the first word in a very important sentence.

Thanks for the response Bill, to answer your questions:

-In the car scenes to the back alley, it was just ambient light - the 6D was cranked to 12,800 ;)

-Unfortunately we had no access to a dolly/slider

-To light the car scene in the back alley, I bounced a 650 off of the adjacent white wall (trying to mimic moonlight)

I will look into the works you've mentioned :)

• 2 weeks later...