Developing negative as reversal

• Premium Member

Hello,

I have navigated through the forum to see if this question was answered before and I have not found anything, if somebody thinks that the question was already answered, please, let me know as I was not able to find any thread.

So, I am preparing a project which is going to be shot on 35mm and I would like to cross process negative as reversal stock as it is something I have done before when shooting stills.

I know usually people go the other way around and I know that it would be much easier.

However, I want to achieve certain tones in the city I am going to shoot at that can only be achieved with that kind of processing and I do not know if it is possible to go that way in cinema labs.

I have talked with some labs in Europe and they do not know where I can process negative as reversal.

If somebody has done this before, would you mind sharing the contact details of the lab where you processed it and some info you might consider interesting?

Thank you very much.

Kindest regards.

I do occasionally cross process C-41 films through E-6 for clients, but always recommend they push the film at least a stop and a half to help blow away the orange mask, otherwise you end up with a positive image with an overall dark blue bias.

It always helps to test various emulsions too. I remember cross processing some Agfa colour neg once ( can't remember the type ) and it came out looking like poor quality 'normal' colour transparencies !

Reversal through negative process is definitely the best route.

John S :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

This is what I am after.

I shot this on Fuji Superia (C41 process) and processed it with E6 process.

In fact I shot it as part of a short - film which had to be created with stills.

Robert, you might be familiar with it as I asked David if he knew any lab in Europe able to cross process that way.

Thanks for that tip Joerg! I already wrote a post on his web site.

Waiting for a reply! :)

Kindest regards.

ALittleStoryOfTwoGuys.jpg

• Site Sponsor

You would have to find a lab that runs multiple processes in the same machine, so a lab that runs E6 and ECN in the same machine so they can run the Rem-Jet buffer stack before developer. We have individual machines for each process (B&W-R, B&W neg, ECN, ECP ) and we don't develop Ektachrome but our B&W Neg machine was an Ektachrome machine in a past life.

• Upvote 1

You would have to find a lab that runs multiple processes in the same machine, so a lab that runs E6 and ECN in the same machine so they can run the Rem-Jet buffer stack before developer. We have individual machines for each process (B&W-R, B&W neg, ECN, ECP ) and we don't develop Ektachrome but our B&W Neg machine was an Ektachrome machine in a past life.

Absolutely right Robert - you beat me to it, the processor would have to have a rem-jet removal unit.

JS ;)

Edited by John Salim
  • Upvote 1

I talked to some labs in Europe -- no interest. It's too messy and volume too low, so it remains a DIY method.
BTW different stock gives different results. Vision 3 200T worked great, Vision 3 500T was disappointing. Some older Vision 100T stock (pro8mm) failed almost completely.

In any case, you want to have colorful, contrasty motives for good results. Get out your Lomo tanks, its fun!!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that tip Joerg! I already wrote a post on his web site.

Waiting for a reply! :)

Hey Miguel,

I did that at home in my Lomo tank -- it was quite some trial and error. Few quick facts here since I don't have time right now to translate the whole thing:

- Use Vision 3 200T

- Expose it as 50 ASA

- Develop Push +1 Stop (2 minutes more in FD)

- Be prepared for manual remjet removal (messy)

Your result will

- have lower contrast overall

- have a apricot-ish base

- have odd, mellow colors, nice for skin

- be very sharp

Don't cut it together with normal reversal stock, than it looks great in projection. Very special at least. :)

• Upvote 1