Advice/Recommendations on S16 PL Zoom Lens for A-Minima

Hello everyone!

I'm aware that there are numerous other topics about s16 zoom lenses. However, I'd like to hear your advice/thoughts on these particular PL-mount lenses (some of them only PL Adapters) mentioned below as I'm planning to buy one of them for my Aaton A-Minima PL.

The lens will be used for more personal, S16 film projects (hence these "lower-budget" lenses):

- Angenieux 9.5-57 T1.6-2.2 | PL Adapter on Arri Bayo Mount

- Angenieux 9.5-95 T2.5 | converted to PL mount

- Angenieux 12-240 F3.5 | converted to S16 with PL mount

- Cooke 9-50 T2.5 | PL Adapter on Arri Mount

- Zeiss Vario Sonnar 12.5-75 T2 | S16?? // PL Adapter

- Zeiss Vario Sonnar 10-100 F2.8 | S16?? // PL Adapter on Arri Mount

Looking forward on reading/hearing your thoughts about breathing, vignetting, combining it with a Minima etc.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Thanks for clarification and for the list, Brian. Some of the sellers declared that their lens covers S16, though I assume those lenses were converted.

After some more research the Angenieux 17.5-70 T2.2 seems like an interesting option.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

Angenieux 9,5-95mm and 12-120mm are both very soft lenses, unless stopped down to f5.6

My personal favourite lens, although not super16, is Angie 9,5-57mm HEC, which has got newer HEC coating, warm colour rendition, greenish flares and breathes only a little.

Of course, better lens is one of Canon's super16: 8-64mm, 7-63mm, 11,5-138mm... but if you're on a budget.