Short Film - Stills

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Some of the stills looked "smoky" or "foggy" as though the contrast levels were messed with. The ones in that room with the brown wood walls? Did you use a fog machine or did you grade them in such a way to try to make them look like they had high DR look?

Thanks guys. I shot on a blackmagic cinema camera mft with a speed booster on it (to get the super35-feel).. for the aerials I used a blackmagic pocket cam.. It's a cabin by the sea .. I used a hazer to get a kind of wet foggy feel..

I didn't lower the contrast level.. do you think it's to foggy for an old interior sea atmosphere?

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you like it.

Picture 1: I used a hazer to get the light beam of the torch. Key light was a bluefiltered (i think the moon filter from lee) LED Panel from left at about eyelevel. In the back you see a practical (oil lamp).

For the right side of his face I bounced a 1,2kw HMI against a reflector - which served as a rim light on his face and also gave some ambient light to the whole scene which otherwise would be massively underexposed.

Picture 2: Really basic setup. Softened 1,2kw and 575HMI shining from the outside through a window. I think we used a bit of fill light (just a reflector from the right side. Otherwise the practical bulb next to his head is doing a tiny bit of a rim.

Pircture 3: 1,2 kw HMI from left top bouncing on a reflector into the room to give bluish ambient light. Key light for the old mans face was a warm LED which is placed just right a bit above eye level . It should simulate the practical bulb which is hanging above.

The light on the younger actor is from a Bulb behind him. Otherwise there are to practicals which doesn't affect the overall lighting. My lighting concept was to have many light sources and still have the scene dark.

Sometimes I like to light more from a side axis to avoid ugly nose shadows. If you place your lights 1 meter next to the camera axis it often looks ugly to me.. but that's not always the case of course.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Andreas Kaufmann

• 2 weeks later...