Lighting a Gym

Hi Cinematographers,

I'm using a Canon C100.

I want lighting a gym like this idea (that's so wonderful, i've never done before):

2l89ma8.jpg

but for this location (i know, it's so bad)

5lvwva.jpg

at the right of this photo: I think 4/5 lights incandescents (one per window) must be shot to a silver 2mx2m and then to a butterfly (ever one per window), these lights must be a 4/5Kw per window, isn't true?
And the left: windows must be covered by black cloth.
And a 5Kw incandescent bounced from white butterfly 2mx2m at the left, on the platform for fill light.
What do you think about it?
Thank you,
sorry for my bad english
F

Depends on budget. Is the gym on the ground level? Even if it is, you'll need to get your lights pretty high to achieve the beam angle. Now you're talking condors or scissor lifts. Generators for lights. Atmosphere inside. Also, the windows seem higher in your gym compared to the example you attached. You wouldn't see them as much.

If the scene is short enough (or you can shoot there multiple days), maybe use the sun. Even if it doesn't shine through the windows you want. You can re-arrange the gym (hoops look to be mobile) so that it's utilizing windows that get direct sunlight. If you did that, you'd black out any other light source and add some atmosphere in hopes of getting light beams. If it's a short period of time of direct sun, shoot your wides like this and for the rest of your coverage you could use artificial light. Maybe lekos for the window patterns on the floors. Bouncing for fill.

Depends on budget. Is the gym on the ground level? Even if it is, you'll need to get your lights pretty high to achieve the beam angle. Now you're talking condors or scissor lifts. Generators for lights. Atmosphere inside. Also, the windows seem higher in your gym compared to the example you attached. You wouldn't see them as much.

If the scene is short enough (or you can shoot there multiple days), maybe use the sun. Even if it doesn't shine through the windows you want. You can re-arrange the gym (hoops look to be mobile) so that it's utilizing windows that get direct sunlight. If you did that, you'd black out any other light source and add some atmosphere in hopes of getting light beams. If it's a short period of time of direct sun, shoot your wides like this and for the rest of your coverage you could use artificial light. Maybe lekos for the window patterns on the floors. Bouncing for fill.

Hi Chad,
Thanks for answer.
I've took a photo with sunseeker (an app on iphone that can calculate the road of sun basing on watch timer) and it say that i've only one hours with a sun directly to lens, that could be a good style, classic flare) and I can "isolate" light using black cloths behind camera.
But if I want a shine, could I use a smoke machine? or it will be too disco style?
What do you think about FX filter? Can I simulate it with post or is it best using a filter ahead lens?
Thank you, 'cause I will use a wide lens for this hour and after I will recreating light (with artificial lights: incandescent or hmi with gelatine? ) with close-up's lenses.
ps: what's a LEKO for windows patterns? for creating a shadow style of windows on the floor?
F
Edited by Francesco Marullo

Francesco- The Lekos I was referring to are the ETC Source Four Lekos. LOVE these lights. Very controllable, very punchy. I suggested them because the example picture you included had bright window patterns on the court's floor. You can use a Joker 400w HMI and an adaptor called a Jo Leko. I think you can use an 800w as well. The regular Lekos are usually 575w or 750w tungsten.

And with the atmosphere- if you just give a touch of haze, you can really up the quality of your look. Like I said, you could possible see some of the sun's beams. Be very careful though- too much haze can look goofy and really slow things down on set.

I'm not good with post and I try to shoot without much filtration, so I wouldn't be a good person to ask about that. I do know that you shouldn't use classic soft filters if you're shooting towards a light source. Ugh.

Hope this helps...