The J.L Fisher Dolly

Josiah Prigg

It's our industry standard here. I've worked with the Fisher 10 and 11 in a Dolly Grip capacity.

Pros:

-Solid as a rock

-Jib arm is smooth, and has floor to ~5 foot reach without any additional bits

-configurable with the full kit of boards and risers

-Wheels are great on concrete

-Standard steering, crab steering and round steering, and switching between is easy

-easily holds an operator and AC, and can rise the jib arm even with one person standing on the arm.

-With a competent Dolly Grip, pretty much any move can be made smoothly.

Cons:

-Heavy, thought the 11 is significantly lighter than the 10, and you'll need a truck to transport it.

-The 10 is a tight fit for doorways. 11 is several inches shorter in width

-Uses proprietary Fisher track, so in Canada we have to use speed wheels to adapt to our track.

Frankly, since I used it, any other dolly just is not the same. If you have the means to use it, I would.

Aside from all the questionable opinions offered by Andrew, there is one part that is actually false.

Fisher dollies (and others) are used on standard 24.5" track made by several companies such as FilmAir or Matthews. They may be used with sled/u-channel wheels or tracking wheels from Fisher (code TTW).

Personally I agree with Jon. I also prefer Chapman dollies, but its a very personal thing. There are dolly grips making magic with Fisher as well as Chapman. Each one has a personal preference . In my case it is Hybrid / PeeWee big/small combination.

Some prefer the Fisher 10 / PeeWee combination. Its what suits you.