Suggestions for Mounting iPhone to SR3 Handle?

Karl Lee

I'd like to capture some scratch audio tracks during some upcoming filming, and I've thought that a logical, inexpensive solution is just to use my old iPhone along with an external mic that attaches directly to the dock connector of an iOS device. I'd like to somehow mount the iPhone on my SR3's carrying handle which has two 3/8" screw threads.

I'm guessing that there must be some sort of rigging attachment or clip available that would be good for mounting something like an iPhone to a 3/8" thread mount. B&H has quite the extensive selection of support and rigging accessories, and I'm looking through the listings now to find some options, but I thought I'd ask and see if anyone might have any specific suggestions. To minimize my rig's vertical footprint, I'd ideally like to mount the iPhone flat on the camera (so that the touchscreen is oriented toward the sky).

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

...I'd like to somehow mount the iPhone on my SR3's carrying handle which has two 3/8" screw threads....

...To minimize my rig's vertical footprint, I'd ideally like to mount the iPhone flat on the camera (so that the touchscreen is oriented toward the sky).

I doubt Arri offer an official Apple approved iPhone holder! ;)

I'd suggest investigating iPhone compatible car mounts - particularly non-apple branded options from other suppliers.

At the very least I suspect you could come up with something comprising of a vacuum car mount fastened to a flat plate which is then bolted to the camera. At best you might find a mount with a large enough flat area that you could drill to pass a couple of 3/8" whit screws through. (something <like this> perhaps?)

... I'd like to somehow mount the iPhone on my SR3's carrying handle.....

Hey Karl,

You could start by improvising a mount with gaffer tape to see how usefull this configuration is to you. If usefull, find something to grab the iPhone, attach that to one of the many inexpensive magic arms off ebay.

Thanks for the replies. There appear to be a number of iPhone to hot shoe mounts available, and 3/8" to hot shoe mount converters are available and pretty inexpensive, so among all of the options and combinations I'm sure I'll be able to piece together something that will work.