Which is the best Super 8 Camera

Guest FilmmakerJack

Guest FilmmakerJack

Which Super 8 camera would you say is the best

A ) professionally

B ) in a sense of value (best for your money)

C ) regardless of value

Edited by FilmmakerJack

a: Beaulieu 7008

b: Chinon Pacific 200/12XL

c: Leicina Super8

a: Because it gives the most capability, from crystal synch to external magazine to interchangeable lenses.

b: Because while it is underrated, it delivers professional results constantly.

c: Because I just like it. Absolutely amazing camera.

a ) Beaulieu 7008 Pro - has all the pro features plus full ground glass.

b ) Zeiss Moviflex - nice glass for cheap.

c ) Beaulieu 7008 Pro II

I will add one more category....

...Versatility

d) Leicina Special - so small and handy with pro features.

Edited by LastQuark

Which version of the Moviflex do you prefer?  There were several including a double super-8 model.

I particularly like the MS8 with a 9-36mm f1.8 Vario Sonnar lens if you are shooting only at 24fps.

His older brother, the GS8 with 54fps, is good too but with a slower f2.8 lens.

Nizo 6080 - Quiet, good glass

Bauer 750XL-S - Great lens (Angeniuex 6-90) , pretty beefy canera

Canon 1014 XL-S - Best looking Super 8 camera! - great glass (6.5-65)

And the winner is....

Nikon R-10 - My personal vote for best of all S8 cameras - best glass (Nikkor 7-80), built like a tank, best registration of any s8 camera, every feature of any S8 camera.

Matt Pacini

• 1 year later...

1. Zeiss Ikon Moviflex

2. Zeiss Ikon Moviflex

3. Zeiss Ikon Moviflex

Extraordinary glass, compact, nice weight, six AA batteries runs everything including light meter, marvelous engineering. Owned a Beaulieu 4008 briefly--didn't like the battery set up, nor hand grip design, nor weight.

I've only seriously worked with 3 cameras, only one I paid for,so I can't comment on value for money.I had a Canon 1014E for years.I shot a couple of commercials and industrials with it.I had a Beaulieu S2008,which I liked the interchangeable lens capability,but I found that it could be temperamental, especially when holding speed,maybe it was just that particular model.I used one of the higher end Chinons in an industrial for the brief bit of sync sound I needed.

I've played around with various Bolexes,Elmos,the other Beaulieu models (4008,5008)and some more Canon models(I currently have a Canon 814 AZ and a Fujica Z2,the latter I have yet to test),but I can't really comment as I haven't used them on a serious shoot yet.

I've always felt that you can't really judge a camera until you've used it regularly on a real gig.Only with consistent use can you really tell how well it holds up.Most super 8 cameras were designed as home movie cameras, to be taken out on vacations and such,not to be used every day in all kinds of conditions.

Which is the best Super 8 camera? The one you have....

My favorites - the ones I own:

Nikon R8 - simple, straightforward, auto ASA. Mine gets soft wide open. Good handheld.

Bauer S715XL - great lens, great images. Big & bulky. Needs manual ASA / f-stop adjust. Good on tripod.

Beaulieu 4008ZM2 - pretty camera, nice lens. Manual ASA adj. Like a real production camera, only smaller.