Straight out of university reel -uk

Matt,

You've got some really beautifully shot and lit work. Here's my opinion and personal advice based on the above video.

It is way too long for a reel and especially long for someone just out of university. However, most of the shots look very strong for someone just out of university. There is definitely skill and talent in your work. Try to keep your reel down to 2:00 to 2:30. I had a longer reel before and shortened my most recent one (vimeo.com/98841998) to 2:06 and have had much better response.

Trim off any shot that doesn't represent your best work or serves a specific purpose (i.e. showing your diversity) With most viewers you have 30 seconds to make an impression so your best shots must compile most of that time. Some of the shots you chose (like 0:17, 0:35, 2:07, 2:49) I did not find visually interesting compared to the rest of your work.

Make your shot lengths shorter unless specifically needed to showcase a camera move or lighting change. The beautifully lit shot (love the use of red) at 1:29 through 1:49 is a full 20 seconds. Despite it's beauty I found myself ready to move onto the next shot in the context of watching a reel.

Well done overall! Refine it a bit and this can be killer.

Would love to hear your thoughts on my reel.

Happy shooting!

Alex

www.alexfuerst.com

Thanks alot for your feedback mate I really appreciate it. I definitely agree with you, i felt there was something missing, it is definitely too long and needs a lot of refining. Flattered by your compliments mate, your reel is amazing, some great lighting and composition in there. I especially liked the basketball one, I felt the tone was perfect and the composition is great. Thanks again for your comment pal!

Matt

https://www.facebook.com/tealeafp?fref=ts

Okay, I always end up saying the same thing about reels.

So this time I'm going to ask you. Do you think you have put your best shots up front?

You only get one chance to make a first impression.

Secondly there are some really nice shots on here and some absolute rubbish. To such an extent that if I didn't know better I would have assumed it was stuff shot by different people.

As has already been pointed out, it's also very long which is odd considering you have included said bad stuff.

A reel is kind of like a commercial where you are trying to sell people on what you can do.

Theres no reason at all to include things you are not happy with so ditch those things!

Some lovely stuff in there and it's so great to see no shots whatsoever of "Queens Square". ;)

Freya

Thanks for your feedback Freya, upon watching it over and over with a fresh mind thinking about these points, it's very clear that it is contrasted in quality greatly, the black and white interview shot's are not very good, i should've thought about the quality rather than just sticking what I thought should fit in there. Thanks again I will upload a revised version after I finish the project I'm currently working on.

Thanks again

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Let us know when the new one is done. Would love to see it.

By the way I took your advice and I feel much better about the length and the flow, I feel like it works better, especially with the music change. I was just honest with myself and thought which clips were worthy and i'm happy with this result.

Thanks again

Matt