Stylized lighting outdoors, HDR style

Hi guys,

I am preparing a shooting for a short advertising film for a local soccer club. The idea is to shoot in daylight, mostly in 300fps.

I am especially worried about a static wide shot, in which a group of soccer players will run across the field, holding banners and other crazy stuff. The director wants this to look "epic".

I was thinking whether I could use one or two 18K HMIs to light up the group from camera side to get that specific HDR look that I know from some advertisings.

Also, I thought about mirrors, or maybe 12x12 butterfly with Ultrabounce (probably not enough punch for that look)?

Another idea was to align 4-5 maxi brutes / 9lights on Hi-Hi-Rollers and place them behind the group of players, so when they walk from left to right in the wide shot, they have those 9lights in the back. I'd like just the look of those lights in the back (opposed to a boring soccer filed background), but it would only make sense, if they would offer at least some punch. Do you think the 9lights would make any difference in lighting / make a visible back light on the players, when shooting in broad daylight?

I wouldn't mind the 3200K by the way.

Thanks! Phil

post-61395-0-77054600-1405521977_thumb.jpg

How wide is the shot (how much of the field are you seeing)? How far are you from the talent? Where is the sun/ what time of day? Can you post a photo of the location, roughly where the shot will be from?

At 300fps in midday sun with no clouds, the 18k's won't give you a very dynamic look- notice how dark the sky is in your photo. Later in the day with the hard light source coming from the side will help.

The maxi brutes would be killer- especially if it were raining!

I don't think you'll get much out of the Maxis in broad daylight, I know they're big lights but they're still tungsten and they just won't do much when up against the sun.

I worked on a feature where the DP kept trying to use 12-lights during the day just because we didn't have big HMIs and they were the biggest guns we had, but it almost always failed and almost always wound up being shiny boards instead. Hell, for one set up we even did better with the one Joker 800 we had over using the Maxis outside during daylight.

I'm personally usually of the opinion that if you have the sun you should find a way to use it, it's the world's best looking light.