DeadPool Origins.

Noah Gunn

Noah,

I'm going to be open with you about my opinion of the video you posted.

It was hard to enjoy or visually understand what is happening for the first 2 1/2 minutes. Everything is out of focus and appeared to be shot vertically and presented horizontally. If this was intentional to serve a purpose for the story I completely missed it and feel it did not work. Make sure your camera operator knows how to properly focus, expose and frame shots with good composition.

The audio mix with the music also makes it difficult to understand dialogue.

I personally believe that it is NEVER acceptable for real violence to be used in film production. Use film techniques to portray the violence and keep your talent and crew safe and healthy. Period. I can guarantee you will feel much more accomplished as a filmmaker when you can "trick" the audience to believe the violent facade you create with film making tricks. Please be safe!

The last 2 minutes of the video are one locked off shot of a phone call. Visually this is very uninteresting and you will loose the attention of your audience without enough visual interest. Try using different camera angles or movement of the camera or actor to spice things up for scenes like this.

I know that was not what you want to hear but I say it to push you to be better and progress with your work and skill.

Keep working at it! Best of luck to you.

Alex

Alex, i was open to any suggestions and this was great feedback. Me and my cousin used pads for the fight scenes, so even though they were real, there was really no impact. we found out that my camera man was sick and disoriented. I am working on getting the Cannon Xl1 3CCD soon.

Edited by Noah Gunn

I DO NOT OWN THE MUSIC! ShutEmDown by Onyx

The kick and throw were real. it is in its first stages.

If a cell phone video camera is all you can do now... learn to use it more effectively. The 'fight scene' was 1) low light, 2) sideways to standard horizontal presentation of moving pictures. T

This means you have to 'back up' to get the actors with head and feet in the frame, for a given focal lenght of lens.

The shot could have been done in the daytime and most likely would not have impacted the 'story'.

There are apps for the iPhone and presumably for the Android phones that allow one more control over 'focus point' and 'exposure value' which are better for simple film making projects than the typical as delivered app from the phone manufacturer.

As mentioned in the post above, moving pictures are... moving pictures. So an essentially static shot of one person talking on the phone, is not 'moving pictures', at best it is Illustrated Radio, and even then, old time radio shows would put interesting in sound effects combined with snappy dialog, to create the show.

Few film script writers can do sustained 'dialog' for any period of time. Many try to emulate such writers as Tarantino, as an example of a modern writer who does have some talent for long winded dialog, without success.

The experiment for you then would be to watch your film in 'silent' mode... if it still makes sense, I think the results would be far better received by viewers.

Edited by jeclark2006