Need some creative ideas for an Indoor skatepark Commercial/Promo

Jordan Watson

Hey guys,

I'm looking at making an indoor skatepark commercial / promo for some editing practise. The indoor skatepark invites BMX bikes, scooters and skateboards to ride on ramps and do flips into a large foam pit (their main selling point over local competitors). I aim not to include voiceovers but will have music. What do you guys think would be a good 30 second commercial or 1 minute promotional video? I had an idea of perhaps start off with a focus pull of a skateboard & then some tracking shots of empty ramps with no one on it ... then on the beat that the music starts, all the shots will have people riding at the park?

What are some of your ideas that you think would make a great commercial / promo if it were to be on their website / Facebook page helping them advertise?

Thanks everyone,

Jordan Watson

I loved this spec commercial here. To understand how original that actually is, you should look at the Transworld site. There's advertising before every clip. It's downright irritating but you will see a bunch of standard boring approaches to the 30 second model for skate shoes, boards, parks, etc. It will help give you an idea of what's out there and what you can avoid to be more original in your thinking. Typically it's a one off trick or a line with a logo. I rarely see anyone get too creative these days. Which is why "Do I look like a Quarterback" stood out and was memorable.

Edited by Michael LaVoie

Thanks Michael for the response! I loved that commercial / promo. It was completely different to what I expected to be. Also, I loved the cinematography. Hopefully I can get a discount from the rental company so I can use some lights too! ;)
I know what you mean by seeing the same skate videos repeatedly...Youtube is a great example especially when it comes to fan videos. Thanks for the heads up!